Friday, April 5, 2013

Go Ahead, Prove Me Wrong!

Nothing like a challenge to get the competitive juices flowing, eh? I might be a shrinking wallflower when it comes to social interaction, but get me in a gym with some good dance music and I'm out to draw blood, with a grin on my sweaty face. We did make it to cardio kickboxing last night and I thoroughly enjoyed the bouts of continuous punching or jabbing and/or kicking the heavy bags. Visions of old Shaw Brother kung fu movies danced in my head while I pummeled away.

So naturally, today I was a bit sore and tired. The parking lot was a zoo and the gym was unusually crowded for a Friday morning: it was as if everyone had taken the day off just to work out!

My favorite Precor was available and I managed to peddle myself good and sweaty without stitches. Probably because breakfast was over an hour prior to exercise: coffee and oatmeal with a beaten egg and a dollop of honey.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min = 4.01 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 12 @ 120 / 12, 10 @ 125 / 10 @ 127.5 lbs Yay!
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 15 @ 80 lbs / 6 x 15 @ 85 lbs
Pull Ups: 12+2 / 10+2 Never say die!
Alternating DB Curls: 3 x 12 @ 25 lbs
Ab Crunch Machine: 100
Lower Back Extensions (again!): 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Pull Ups Again: 10+2 Bleah!
BB Curls: 12 @ 40 / 3 x 12 @ 45 lbs
Damn, 45 lbs is a lot heavier than 40 lbs!
Pull Ups Again: 8+2 Bleah! Diminishing returns!
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 15 @ 45 lbs
Mat Stretch

The scale reads 108.6 lbs which is a tad heavy but I'm feeling strong, and my clothes don't fit any differently. When I get home, I find several suggestions posted to the Newby Forum where I'd asked for help with my benching. The two women responded with pleasant Good Lucks, but the men were very helpful. They all concurred that I'm doing too many reps and should ease up to increase my benching. I love being proven wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...