Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy Earth Day

I ignore the fact that my cardio sucked today when I head over to the free weights. M is already on the Smith doing inclined benching so I warm up with 25 reps with just the bar (45 lbs) at a flat bench. Lucky me, M is stripping the bar at the Smith so it's all mine. Yay!

I saw B in the locker room so there's no chance she'll be interrupting me while I bench. Besides, now she's busy chatting so long with all her guy friends. I have to chant to myself what reps I'm doing at what weight so that I'll remember and not screw myself up.

Descending reps with increasing weight: 12, 10, 8, 6.... Jeez, I hope I can get 6 reps at my maximum today because I want to do 3 sets. I've also started jumping my weights in 20 lbs increments (a pair of 10s at a time). So that's a 25 lb plate, then three 10s on each side of the bar. My front right delt twinges slightly so I'm cautious. If I had a spot I might push harder than 6 reps but at the 6th rep I note that I can't quite descend as fully because I'm starting to tire. That's my cue as a solo flyer because you can't go to failure if you don't have a spotter to rescue you. And I'm done with asking for help for now.

Today's Total Workout: 
35 min cardio = 3.86 miles Bleah
Warm Up: 25 reps bar (45 lbs) on a flat bench
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ 95 / 10 @ 115 / 8 @ 135 / 3x6 @ 155 /
12 @ 135 / 15 @ 115 / 25 @ 95 lbs
Nerdfitness.com has a link to an article in Men's Journal (Nov 2010) about fitness and gym workouts. In it were references to a book by Mark Rippetoe called Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training. The article summarized an approach to strength gains and made the assertion that there's strength training, and then there's adding power, size and endurance and that each goal had it's own optimal number of reps. Yep, and here I am mixing it all up, going for the whole shebang!
Cage Stretch & Kicks
I see the gal who's making great progress now that she's lifting weights as well as doing cardio. I tell her that she looks great and to keep up the good work! She smiles as her partner grunts away at the cable station. Later he comes by to thank me for my kind words. "It's just what she needed to hear!" he tells me. "Well, I used to see her working out with another woman and honestly, it didn't look like she was getting anything out of it." "Yeah, she's finally listening to me! She's my wife!" and we both grin. I know how important it is to have someone give you a kind word out of the blue.
Seated Inclined Rear DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 25 lbs
Lateral DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral DB Raises SuperSet with One-Arm DB Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Tricep Press Downs (I can't find the angled handle that I like and use a larger one with rubber grips. It's really hard to hang on to and imprints my palm even though I'm wearing grips): 3 x 12 @ 50 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Mat Stretch: this feels pretty good today. Afterwards, I swap my iPod, gloves, grips, elbow brace, and towel for my pink gloves and wail on the Nexersys station for 3 quick Try Me rounds. I'm getting better at it although I'm still punching "too hard".

The scale reads 110.8 lbs, exactly the same as last Monday. I probably drank too much beer over the weekend, having just discovered Blue Moon Tequila Ale. Damn, it's a whopping 175 calories, which still isn't as bad as the Angry Orchard's 200 per bottle. The Stella Artois feels downright dietetic at 125, not that I let things like calories get in the way of a sunny afternoon's enjoyment.

I finally see Mo again. She's been out for two weeks because she injured herself using exercise elastic bands. Good grief. She should just stick to basic barbell and dumbbell exercises. They're safer, and get great results. But I don't try to talk her into anything. That's not my nature. I'm off to Staples with a half dozen ancient printers and laptops that I'm bringing them to recycle. It's Earth Day after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...