Thursday, August 23, 2012

On the Mend?

I actually felt pretty good when I got up this morning. I've been taking a 50 mg chelated zinc tablet with my fish oil, and liberally douse dinner with freshly sauteed garlic and onions. I feel pretty good considering I did 8+ miles yesterday and my calves are just a wee bit sore today.

But I have my son with me today which means I have to abbreviate my workout: gym childcare is limited to 2 hours and I usually run closer to 3 hours. They haven't complained but I don't want to abuse the service. Luckily, my son is easy-going and spends the time playing video games, or watching other kids play.

I lop 10 min off my cardio and only do 35 min (including warm down) to get 3.91 miles. I was hoping to get 4 but close enough. I feel good enough to bench heavy even though this is the 2nd Push Day this week, but I cut myself some slack: my 2nd and 3rd sets only go to 10 reps. No slack on delts though. The first set is a warm up with 15 lb dumbbells. Everything else I use the 20s. I really like having shoulders. Nice shoulders.

I don't have time to do Decline Presses and barely enough time for triceps, but I squeeze in 3 sets of One-Arm Extensions. Torso Twists, Ab Curl Machine and Mat Stretch ends my workout. After a shower, I get my son and I'm only 20 minutes late.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 3.91 miles
Smith Bench: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 3 x 12-10 @ 135 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 95
Cage stretch & kicks
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Front Dumbbell Raises Superset with Lateral Raises: 12 @ 15 / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Inclined Seated Rear Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 12-15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Dumbbell Extension: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 upper / 2 x 50 @ lower
Mat stretch

The scale reads 107.0. I'm good with that. Apparently I'm still getting my period in a very faint perio-menopausal way, but at least it's not inconveniently messy anymore. Instead it's an almost imperceptible tinge of brownish red discharge. That would explain my odd food cravings last week, and subsequent fatigue and lowered immunity. Fingers crossed that my cold has peaked and will be subsequently vanquished.

My "tan in a bottle" seems to be taking the glare off, giving me a not-unnatural soft mocha coloring. I'm excited! I also started looking through muscle mags at the supermarket today. I used to subscribe to Muscle & Fitness way back when. Oxygen Magazine has a section where readers send in photos of themselves. I check out the 50 year old fitness instructor and immediately think two things, she's awfully skinny (and I don't mean that in a good way), and I've got better arms than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...