Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Annoying Neighbors

I'm tired but not horribly sore so off I trot to the gym. It's freezing! I clutch my royal blue zip up hoodie close to me as I punch in my numbers for the elliptical. I'm not quite sure how weight affects the machine's algorithms but I punch in 110 lbs (up from 105), 40 minutes (it'll automatically tack on 5 minutes for warm down) and hill #6. That extra 5 lbs makes 5 miles a bit more elusive for some reason. Instead of reaching 5 miles at 8350 strides, I have to reach 8500. Well, at least I get there. 5.12 sweaty miles and I'm done. I'm also wondering if I have allergies because I'm feeling a thickening of phlegm and saliva that could signify a late summer cold (egads!) but I'm hoping not.

 from: www.animalpak.com/store
Seated cable rows are next and I like doing them right after cardio, when I'm still dripping. Unfortunately, my neighbor V spies me and wanders over to chat. Not that I don't like him, but he's got this slow dawdling conversation cadence that never quite lets you know if he's done talking or not. Plus, he never has anything particularly interesting to say, but seems to take a great deal of pleasure in the misfortunes of others. Not a trait I especially admire. As he meanders conversationally about trying to leave a message on the answering machine, I wave him off impatiently and tell him I'll talk to him later. I'm glad he only has our house phone and not my cell phone number. That'd really be annoying. B notes that I seem a bit pissed off. Well, duh.

A friend sent me a link to a website that had a great shirt, a shirt I'd wear if only it came in my size. It says: I'm not here to talk. Not that V would actually read it. Some people come to the gym to socialize, and work out. In that order. I come to work out. I might talk afterwards, but usually only to B because she comes regularly and actually works out. When she's not socializing. Today she complains about how her workouts are so much better when she comes early, when there's no one there to talk to her and distract her from her workout. Duh again. But she's a lot more social than I am. I already feel like I spend way too much time at the gym (2.5+ hrs 5 days a week), and chatting just extends that time even further. It's not like I don't have other things to do once I leave the gym!

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.12 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 4 x 12 @ 105 / 12 @ 90 lbs
Lower Back Extension: 2 x 25 @ 90
Torso Twists: 2 x 25 @ 50
Cage Stretch & Kicks & 12 Close-Grip Neutral Chin Ups (w legs pulled up to chest)
Lat Pull Downs: 6 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Torso Twists (again) 2 x 25 @ 90
Lower Back Extensions (again) 2 x 25 @ 90
Reverse Grip Bent Over Barbell Rows: 6 x 15 @ 50 lbs
Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 12 @ 15 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Ab "Roller" Machine: 4 x 50 reps
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 4 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Mat stretch for hams, calves, back, shoulders & neck

The scale reads 107.8 and that's good enough for me. Oddly, the NPC Poster is missing from the locker room bulletin board. Either someone wanted a collector's item, or they didn't want the rest of us getting funny ideas about competing. (And I thought it was only the pre-med weenies in organic chemistry who tried to stifle competition!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...