Monday, August 20, 2012

Happiness is a Smith Smooth as Silk

My grandmother always said that the squeaky wheel got the grease. Conversely, my grandfather always told my mother that empty tin cans make the most noise. I was fully prepared to have to muscle my way through my bench sets today. But I knew from the first smooth glide of the weightless bar that the Smith had been serviced and was behaving beautifully. I was so happy that I proceeded to thank the gym owner (who claimed he hadn't done anything), and then the staffers who I'd complained to last. Everyone was happy. Especially me.

I'm also wrestling with the beginnings of a late summer cold that started with a feathery tickle in my throat about two weeks ago. "Allergies" everyone's been saying. More like wishful thinking on everyone's party. The tickle's progressed to the morning aftermath of post-nasal drip, and a few tissues of fluorescing snot. Yep, it's an infection of some sort. I don't feel sick, but that most likely will come later, when I'm wondering why I'm so tired.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.09 miles (at least I made it to 5!)
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 3 x 12 @ 135 lbs / 12 @ 115 / 15 @ 95
Cage stretch & kicks
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Front & Lateral Dumbbell Raise Supersets: 3 x 12 @ 15 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Rear Inclined Seated Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 12-15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Dumbbell Extension: 3 x 12 @ 20
Flat Bench Twisting SitUps: about 200
Seated Lower Ab Kickouts: about 125
Declined bench: 25 @ bar / 25 @ 65 / 20, 15, 12 @ 85 / 15 @ 65 / 15 @ bar
Tricep Pressdowns: 12 @ 30 / 3 x 12 @ 40
Mat stretch

This is the closest I've gone to failure in a long time. I must be falling ill! The scale reads 109. B tells me that she's been putting on weight. I tell her that I'm doing the same, but she eyes me skeptically and declares "but it's all muscle". Well, I'm glad it looks that way! But perhaps I'd better cut back on the butter, olive oil and ice cream. My home scale tells me I'm 107 lbs and 36% bodyfat. I'm really hoping that it's horribly mistaken because I don't stand a snowball's chance in hell competition-wise if I'm over 1/3 fat at this point. Of course the scale is one of those programmable items that thinks I'm still 42 years old, and I can't seem to update it's database. If I punch in my real age, it'll probably tell me I'm closer to 50% fat. Lol!

I really need a professional opinion to see what I should be doing. I can't put in any more time at the gym, but I can change what I do while I'm there, and what I eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...