Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Blues

I've actually started falling asleep on Saturday afternoons, usually when I'm in the midst of reading something vaguely interesting. Then I wake up all achy and sore, and wonder why it's dark outside. My son's been so ensconced in his gaming world that he's barely noticed that I've been quietly prone for the past few hours. Thank goodness for summer vacations. Of course, I've been up all night cheering for Michael Phelps and all the other American Olympians so everything balances out in the end.

I woke up, not to the chirping of my cell phone, but to the August sun blaring through uncurtained eastern windows. After cold coffee (almost ice) and instant oatmeal, I get my son to camp and myself to the gym. The parking lot looks strangely empty and I figure it must really be summer vacation, that part of the summer where everyone actually goes away. Except for us gym rats. I have my pick of ellipticals and do my 45 min on #3 using the gentle #6 hill program. I get 5.23 miles which is pretty good considering my slug-like non-active weekend.

It's a pretty good Push Day as days go. The Smith is free and I can bench my 3 sets of 135 lbs but I feel a bit chagrined in that my sets aren't quite as strict as they should be. I count to 12 for each set, but I'm not able to touch the bar to my chest with each descent. The last set feels heavy and my right wrist, thumb, forearm and front delt twinge sporadically. I knock out a set of 12 at 115 lbs afterwards, and then a set of 25 at 90 lbs. Those sets feel pretty good.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.23 miles
Smith Bench: 1 x 12 bar / 1 x 12 @ 90 / 1 x 12 @ 115 / 3 x 12 @ 135 / 1 x 12 @ 115 /
1 x 25 @ 90
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 60
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Front & Lateral Dumbbell Raises Superset: 3 x 12 @ 17.5
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 17.5
Seated Rear Inclined Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 15 @ 17.5
Dumbbell Extension: 1 x 12 @ 15 / 1 x 12 @ 17.5 / 1 x 12 @ 20
60° Inclined Twisting SitUp: about 125
Seated Lower Ab Kickouts: about 125
Tricep Pressdowns: 1 x 12 @ 30 / 3 x 12 @ 40
Mat stretch for hams, calves, back, shoulders & neck

The scale reads a whopping 108.8 and I double, triple check the figure. Okay, I've been heavier, and I've been lighter so is really not that surprising. What I am surprised about is how hungry I am, and I haven't even showered yet. Well, tomorrow's another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...