Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Working Out as an UnPaid Part-Time Job

Today's Leg Day and I'm not really anticipating a great workout. Well, actually, I am looking forward to doing two rounds of cardio. I must be a sick puppy. The first 35 min is nothing but slogging up hill #6 and I'm happy to have survived 3.99 miles. I'm on #1 which isn't as smooth as #3 but it's better than the two remaining ellipticals. For the second 35 min, I switch to Intervals #7 and even with a slow start, I'm rushing along with a stupid grin on my face by the last 10 minutes. I get 4.25 miles and in total I have 8.24 miles which is better than I was expecting, so I'm happy. Okay, I've upped my cardio to 70 min on Wednesdays but I only have 3 actual leg exercises besides cardio.

Because I'm wearing my fuchsia UnderArmour shorts today with a black GapBody tank over a magenta sports bra, I actually look color-coordinated. But it also means I'm not going to be doing any side-kicks or stretches at the Cage. Hams and calves I'll do, but nothing too revealing. Besides, I figure I do this the other 4 days a week so what the heck. Change is good.

Squats are next, but because B interrupts me, I lose track of how many sets I've done. Oh well. There's a step class in session and all the step-up platforms are missing, so my Dead Lifts are done without them, so they should be easier, but I'm still winded and tired by the time I'm done. I go back to the machine stations to knock out Seated Leg Curls, Torso Twists and a bunch of Twisting Situps before I hit the mat to stretch. I'm drenched, parched and suddenly starving.

A gal in the locker room says she comes here almost everyday, and we joke that's it's just like having a part-time job. I tell her I'm a slug on the weekends. She tells me she loves the Spin Class but goes Bowling on Tuesdays, and she's not sure if that actually qualifies as exercise. I dunno either.

The scale reads 107.8 lbs and I'm a little relieved, although B yelled at me when I told her I'd put on two pounds. (I'm not real happy that the BMI on my home scale has moved from 20.5 to 21 either.)
"Where? You have a lot of muscle and muscle's heavy. You don't have any extra body fat! And you're really strong" 
I remind her that I'm younger than she is, so that might explain why I can lift more than she can. Then I tease her that I think my thighs are fatter. She eyes me in mock exasperation. I've measured myself. Chest, waist and hips are all the same. But I think my thighs are just a tad bigger.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill cardio = 3.99 miles + 35 min interval cardio = 4.25 totals = 8.24 miles
Cage stretch hams and calves only
Smith Squats: 1 x 12 @ bar / 1 x 12 @ 95 / 5 x 15 @ 115 lbs
Dead Lifts: 6 x 15 @ 95 lbs
Seated Leg Curls: 1 x 12 @ 75 / 4 x 12 @ 90
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 60 lbs
Straight Twisting Sit Ups: about 125 reps
Mat stretch for hams, calves, back, neck & shoulders

People often ask me how long my workouts take. Including cardio, which is a Must Do, I'm usually done in about 2.5 hrs, which is about how long my commute used to take me into the City one-way.

2 comments:

  1. So, what's the difference between fuschia and magenta? I just bought a pair of trail running shoes, and, since they are women's shoes, the best (and I'm using that term loosely) of my color choices was black (but of course) with two shades of fluorescent pink. Now I'm wondering if they are actually magenta. Or fuschia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magenta has a blue undertone and fuschia always seemed just a tad pinker, hotter. Of course, hot pink is hot pink. LOl!

    ReplyDelete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...