Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Happiness is...

I actually resorted to rifling through my bathroom closet in hopes of discovering something, anything to help me decongest my sinuses last night. I found a well-expired (1993) package of mild antihistamines labeled Allergy Tablets, containing Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4 mg. I took one tablet, and 20 minutes later, my sinuses cleared and I fell asleep. My lips are still chapped though.

In spite of being congested this morning, I had a pretty good cardio workout, totaling 8.46 miles. And as usual, the 2nd leg of the workout felt much better than the first. I keep my hoodie on, drenched as it is, until I do Dead Lifts when I need to put on elbow braces. I blow my nose a few times, but my head is clear and I can breathe! On the other hand, my thighs look awfully thick when I approach the Cage right after doing cardio.

After some minimal stretching at the Cage, there are Seated Leg Curls, Squats, Dead Lifts, Leg Extensions (yes, I finally got on this apparatus and did a few very light sets), more Leg Curls, and Twisting Situps, before Mat Stretching. My right knee is twinging sporadically on doing Squats, and also with the Leg Extensions so I know to be extra cautious with my stance and how I position my leg. I've never had it officially diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure this is due to a meniscus tear some 30 years ago back in college.

The gym was really empty today. It feels like the start of summer vacation instead of the end. The 58°F mornings don't help forestall the foreboding feeling that Autumn is right around the corner. But I think the sunless tanning solution is actually working. It's very subtle but my tan marks don't seem quite so stark anymore. And my abs look better. It's gotta be the tan!

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 3.99 miles + 35 min interval #7 = 4.37 for Total = 8.46 miles
Cage hamstring & quad stretch (I'm wearing those shorts so I'm not doing those kicks)
Seated Leg Curl: 3 x 12 @ 75 lbs
Squats: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 lbs / 5 x 12-15 @ 115 lbs
Dead Lifts: 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Torso Twists: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Leg Extensions: 4 x 12 @ 45 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Situps: about 150
Seated Leg Curl (again): 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Mat stretch

The scale reads 107.0 and I'm happy because I had two servings of dinner last night, stuffing myself with chicken braised in tomato sauce served over pasta with grated asiago cheese, and strawberry ice cream dotted with frozen blueberries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...