Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Not PrinceSpaghetti Day...

Wednesday, goes the old commercial, is prince spaghetti day. Two weeks ago, before I got sick, Wednesday became my leg day. Never mind that I don't work legs except for the 30-45 minutes on the Precor Elliptical Cross-trainer at my gym, and the stretching, and side-kick hops I do every time I go to the gym. Today is Leg Day, and day 4 of antibiotics for the nearly completely banished sinusitis.

But when I get to the gym, the ellipticals are all occupied so I hop on a Life Fitness Cross-trainer for 30 minutes. 3.11 miles and I've busted a decent sweat at the 20 minute mark. I want more. Oh heck, it's a leg day anyway so what the hell. I hop on the now vacant Precor machine and go for another 30 minutes, and another 3.12 miles. I feel really good now. Sweat is streaming off my face under my hoodie.

No calf exercises for me!
I go to the stretch cage and make the unfortunate discovery that grey workout pants are bad for sweaty girls, especially those with sweaty joints. Ahem. I pull my black tank top down to my thighs while I stretch and do a series of faux side-kicks. Tap tap tap. Then off to do abs: side twists, twisting situps, lower ab kickouts. 4 sets of seated leg curls and then off to the free weights.

 The Smith machine is empty and I use the 45 lb bar to execute some slow and easy bent over deadlifts. Deadlifts are suppose to strengthen the lower back and hamstrings.

Here's a link to how the exercise should be done:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-deadlift

I add 20 lbs to the bar and do 5 additional sets, then do 2 sets of pistol squats. I love pistol squats but I'm pretty sure they're hard on the knees, if only because I'm pretty much sitting on my heel at the bottom position. These squats work both quadriceps (front thighs) and hamstrings, as well as engaging your core (balance) body muscles.

Here's how a pistol squat should look (I googled it and pulled the image off the web):
from www.youtrain.me

I'm still feeling pretty good so I'll see how much my knees are complaining tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's the Wednesday Leg Workout and no, I don't do calves (here in the northeast, winters can be fierce and I need to be able to fit into my boots!):


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...