Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Big Push

Today would've been a leg day in my new routine, but as I am still sick (aarg!) with a positively heinous sinus infection, I'm staying home until I can at least leave the house without feeling like my head is slosh full of thick pea soup.

When I get back to the gym, I'll start with my all out favorite: A Push Day. That's basically bench press for chest (pecs), arms (triceps) and shoulders (deltoids), followed by some lighter dumbbell work because arms and shoulders can handle a lot of work.

I've been told that I do a hard workout. All I know is that I'm used to going to near-failure, and since I don't use a spot (someone to help me if I fail), I'd rather go with more repetitions (and feel a fatigue burn) than go heavy (and potentially destroy my joints or ligaments). Keep in mind that I'm a petite (4'11.5", 106 lb) middle-age (52 yrs) mom, and I spent the last year shedding 20 lbs.


I hope I haven't maxxed out size- or strength-wise but it's totally up to one's genetic capacity.
For us small ladies, we don't tend to show huge muscles in the pectorals region, but they do make a difference in our appearance, adding depth to the chest especially from the collar bone down, and let's face it, it's a big ego boost to be able to knock out effortless pushups. It's also a big ego boost when you can bench press more than your body weight, and no, you don't have to look like a power lifter to do that. Trust me!

I admit it's a bit difficult to both lose weight (fat), and increase lean muscle mass which is only apparent when your endurance and strength improve. I've hit a plateau with my Smith machine bench press: I can only get 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions at 135 lbs. So I will continue to bench this at least once a week until I can get 3 full sets of 12-15 reps before I up the weights. I will also continue to do Decline Bench Presses (to build fullness in the lower pecs for us smaller gals). If you're "well-endowed", then Inclined Bench Presses might work to add fullness, but with smaller busted women, that just leads to a really weird profile, and no, I've never considered "augmenting", although, when you lose a lot of bodyfat, well, we small ladies do get a lot smaller.

But so often I see women who seem afraid to use barbells, afraid to lift heavy, afraid to get sweaty (egads, are you wearing makeup to the gym?!), afraid to look as if they're exerting any effort at all. Sorry, but why exactly are you here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...