Thursday, May 10, 2012

Just how much does 1.5 liters weigh?

The weight reading changes depending on where I put my home scale, always nudging itself lower and lower. This is silly. I'm just going to rely on the gym scale, and it gives me a higher reading (oooh, a whopping 106.6 lbs). Of course my friend B's complaint that I've just sucked down 1.5 liters of water during my workout echoes in the back of my mind so I have to find out exactly what that translates into weight-wise. Turns out it's not an insignificant 3.3 lbs. Point to B. On the other hand, what difference does it make since it's all relative, and I've been weighing myself this way since I started in March 2011.

I got up this morning and did a chest/delt/tricep workout. But I always always start out with cardio to warm up and get all the stiffness (kinks) out of my system. The gym's virtually empty, at least until the Zumba class lets out. Then the din and cackling is so loud I have to crank up my iPod just to hear myself count. I'm still only pushing 85% on the Smith machine today (115 lbs instead of 135). Then shoulders.

I just love doing delts because I can actually see all the muscles flexing in the badly lit mirrors. It's very satisfying to be able to say "I wanted shoulders and I got shoulders."

Non Sequitur Note: I remember Gladys Portugues way back in the 80s, and how Brian Moss (Better Bodies Gym) taught her to hold her dumbbells as if she were pouring pitchers of water. He's actually uploaded onto YouTube an old VHS tape made in 1982. I've attached the link here. And there's quite a few websites and blogs with images and videos from Better Bodies. This one is particularly good: http://80smuscle.blogspot.com/2011/06/brian-moss-muscle-opera.html

Brian Moss                               Gladys Portugues
Then I see that the Decline bench is vacant and I do a half dozen sets there although I normally do heavy (Smith) and decline on different days. It'll make up for a paltry tricep workout since I'm skipping tricep press downs today. There's something about some of the creepier guys at the gym which makes me get creative and substitute exercises so I can avoid a station. Not that I think I'm in any danger. They're just creepy.

My legs were a bit sore from yesterday but not where I expected. Lower quads, or the muscles just over my knees seemed to have suffered the brunt of yesterday's exuberance. Hamstrings? If I contract them, I can feel a little soreness. And my butt's (glutes) always seem sore during the week. But soreness doesn't mean growth because my hip measurement's shrinking.

I know I should do lunges and squats for hamstrings, but that'll wreak havoc with my knees. I need to do more research. Meanwhile, I'm amused by the NYT article today about Boomers solving their midlife angst with skateboards!


2 comments:

  1. Saw this t-shirt and it made me think of you:

    http://www.animalpak.com/store/html/product.cfm?id=218

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Now if it only came in an XS tank, I'd wear it in a heartbeat!

      Delete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...