Monday, May 1, 2023

When Doing Less is Better

My son's Eagle Scout Court of Honor proceeded with admirable attendance in spite of rainy weather. It's done and I can check it off my list. Whew! My only regret is that I didn't think to get a family selfie shot while we were all dressed up, and that's so unlike me. But I had other things on my mind. There is respite from the storm today and eventually the sun blazes out, highlighting the carpet of tiny tree flowers underfoot at the dog park. But first, I went to the gym. It was crowded.

I got my cardio done and it wasn't horrible. Not the best, but not horrible. At the Stretch Cage, I dip my heels a few times, step up to tip toes, then do a gentle lunge. It's a hamstring stretch, but I suspect it's creating the wonky pre-charley horse feeling in my right leg bicep when I position myself for pull-ups. Of course, this thought only occurs to me after I struggle through my first set.

After core exercises in the Aerobics Room, I warm up again with 10 minutes on the step machine. Both are empty and just for fun, I use the one on the right side. It also initially starts at 60 steps per minute but quickly drops down to 52 for the first 5 minutes, then back up to 57 briefly. Thoroughly warm and a bit breathless, I approach the Stretch Cage for the second time. I remind myself not to stretch beforehand. And the pull-ups go much better (yes, 2 extra reps at the end of a set is much better by my standards) because I'm not distracted by the threat of a painful muscle spasm. 

It's a bit disheartening to be forced to do less than your body is capable of because there's indirect consequences. I guess that's what aging is all about. I could lift heavier. I could stretch like I used to. But lifting heavy will negatively affect my glaucoma and stretching exacerbates my sciatica. So I lift light weights many times. And I don't really stretch much at all. Aging seems to be all about learning to walk that fine line between inactivity and useful exercise.

1 May 2023
Sunny Start Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 + 5 (5534)
Distance: 2.82
Cal: 312
Avg Hr: 143, 180-92

HGPU 20

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

StepMill (R)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-60)
Steps 531
Floors 33
Cal 77
Hr 154

HGPU 22




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...