Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Is This Really The Reason Why

Apparently I'm reading old news that first published back in 2021: metabolism doesn't actually slow down until you hit 60. Not in your 40s or 50s. Not during menopause. But hit 60 and suddenly it's like driving with the emergency brake on. Is that why my weight has been so unmanageable? My midriff threatens to muffin-top shame me if I don't find a way to reverse this trend. I can't exercise more so I'll just have to eat less.

The parking lot was crowded when I got there. It's Tuesday and I missed yesterday's workout because I spent time trying to get my front door fixed, or at least back on its hinges. Granted, the heavy metal door was still attached by the top hinge, but the center and bottom screws had ripped out of the jamb, leaving it standing askew and half open, wedged on the wooden threshold that was a bit swollen from moisture in the air. (I live on wetlands so duh.) Naturally, I didn't sleep very well last night, knowing that my front door was stuck open, although the storm door kept the bugs out. 

My husband's in Boston for the week and neither my son nor I know enough about hanging doors to attempt this fix ourselves. Luckily, I had the number of someone I knew from the Bark Park who works for the local fix-it company, HoneyDo Men. Licensed, insured and work guaranteed. A bit pricey, but a young fellow showed up today and had everything back together in about 20 minutes using extra long deck screws. Definitely worth it.

I was a bit worried when I got to the gym but I'm always worried when I've missed a day. I missed a day so today's a combo-day: pull-ups and weights. Cardio wasn't horrible and I surprised myself with pull-ups. (I think I have a sort of performance anxiety!) Recently, I've been waking up with soreness in my right forearm, like someone's been twisting it in my sleep, but it felt okay today. I wasn't concerned until I got to the DB Shoulder routine because DB Inclined Presses sometimes have me rotate my forearms pushing up. 

I'm pretty happy with the routine today as I added reps to the last heavy set, and then of course, I spaced during the absolute last set so I added another 10 reps just to be safe. So that's either 50 or 60 reps. I'm finally getting a bit of a burn, a bit of a pump and very little soreness afterward. 

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my glaucoma doc to redo a Visual Field test just for my right eye. It's because last time, my left eye test fine but my right eye just didn't feel right, and consequently didn't test properly. A fluke so it needs redoing.

There's one lone peeper still trilling in the pond behind the neighbor's house. But a lot of other amphibians, not bullfrogs. Maybe pickerel or green frogs. The sound is loud and eery but kind of cool if you're not easily spooked. 

 

23 May 2023
Muffin Top Tuesday


Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 + 5 (5670)
Distance: 2.86
Cal: 319
Avg Hr: 139, 200-81

HGPU 22

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 2
20/15/20 x 30/15/30 !!!
15 lbs x 50/25/50 or 60? AMRAP
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...