Friday, July 23, 2021

Digging Up the Norwegian

I'm happy that my notepad app now has a search function, enabling me to look for a HIIT cardio program. I've forgotten what the exact timing should be but since I normally detail my workouts at least once, I can find this information easily. My search reveals that it's been several years as the entries I find are back in 2018!

There's a problem using the Precor elliptical to judge the On and Off portions of the program if I rely on the heart rate data. The elliptical always registers my sessions in extreme ranges, from a low of 86 to a high today over 200. That's crazy. (The Octane elliptical never tells me these lies.) I also find it impossible to lower my perceived HR just by pedaling slower. Instead, I base the On and Off portions on Strides Per Minute, pedaling over 180 for the On portion, and below that for Off. I recall trying to pedal between 135 and 150 when I first tried this routine. Oddly, it's easier to keep the Off portion between 160 and 170. However, that's probably not going to benefit my heart the way a lower Off period would. Next time I'll try to drop to 135 SPMs...

Core is routine, including push-ups and air squats. Eye yoga is easier when there's something in the background to focus on. The bottom position feels the hardest to achieve (try staring at your shoes while sitting cross-legged without moving your body, neck or head). The top has me wondering if I'm arching my eyebrows but you can't see your own face if you're staring at the ceiling. I manage a decent set of push-ups and then it's time to shower and pick up my son from his camp job.

I've discovered that it's nearly impossible to buy picaridin bug repellent these days. My last spray can served me well at the dog park but now I need more. I use the 25-30% DEET spray (Off or Cutters). None of the grocery stores nor the CVS carry anything except DEET, and most of it in the ineffective "family friendly" 7-15% dose. DEET is fine for spraying my shoes and pants with, but it tends to be unpleasantly oily on skin and destructive to synthetics. The only cans I stock at my house are 25-30% and considered "deep woods." Picaridin, on the other hand, is more skin friendly, but equally effective as an insect deterrent. The RiteAid has two last spray cans of Ben's Tick Repellent (20% picaridin). I buy them both. 

At the dog park, I spray my head and the tops of my hands with it because I've been bitten through my regular pants and on my face, throat and fingers, all the parts of me not covered by the permethrin hoodie I wear for such occasions. Ticks have also been pervasive. One dog owner told me he contracted babesiosis last summer and had symptoms similar to malaria with night sweats that lasted for weeks. It's not just Lyme disease that we have to worry about now...


23 July 2021
Pleasantly Friday

HIIT Precor elliptical
(Manual: resistance 1; elevation 7)
4 x 4 Norwegian:
5 min warmup
4 min 85-95% HR (143-159)
3 min rest
4 sets
(at minute 5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33)
Miles 2.77
Calories 311
Avg HR 149, range 86-207

Crunches 60
Piriformis Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga
Air Squats 25

HGPU 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...