Friday, July 2, 2021

A Cooler Ending to the Week

A cold front pushed stormy weather into the region and broke the heatwave. Whew! It's still July in the northeast so it's not actually cold, just more reasonable. The dogs are happier when the temps are 30 degrees colder but this is okay as long as friends arrive to frolic with. I get to the gym by 1 pm, plenty of time to do cardio, core, and push a few weights. All the cross-trainers and treadmills are occupied so there goes any fantasy of mixing up my cardio routine today. I do the old standby: a Precor elliptical.

I enjoy the Precor even though the handles are stationary because the three programs I use have varied elevations and move from pedal forward to backward and then again. It feels like a good workout but I realize that that might not be enough to maintain strength and stamina. I read an article that states people over 60 should incorporate strength exercises in their routines. Duh. They suggest goblet squats and the like. I'm okay with adding air squats to alternate with push-ups and pull-ups. I do 25 and admit that they seem harder today than they did last year when I was working out in my garage. Ugh. Maybe I'm out of shape and I'm definitely getting older.

Re: Air Squats -- I only drop to parallel with my arms extending out front. My form seems okay. It's not especially taxing on my legs, just my breathing so next time I'll do my reps slower. I do spend more time in the Aerobics Room than most of the folks who pop in for a quick plank or a few sit ups. It's those Dead Bugs that eat up all my time.

There's enough time to do shoulders today so I plant myself in front of the inclined adjustable bench and secure the 15 and 20 lb dumbbells. There are a few HS kids but not a lot. Perhaps they've gone away for the extended holiday since it's Fourth of July weekend? I don't care. All I know is that I enjoy the gym more when it's less crowded.

2 July 2021
Rainy Friday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 2
HR 136-194
Cal 318
Distance 2.86

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Air Squats 25
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

DB raises supersets
lateral standing 15 lbs x 15 x 3
Rev Incl flys (w/u) 15 lbs x 20 x 1
20lbs x 20, 20, 25


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...