Monday, April 19, 2021

Answering No

I spent most of yesterday lying on the sofa streaming old TV shows because I had inadvertently given myself food poisoning. Yep. While the morning was fine with me grabbing some coffee in a thermos to drink at the dog park, I was too busy afterward to eat breakfast. Which meant that come mid-afternoon, I'm totally famished. I normally eat oatmeal, either instant with additional raisins or "quick-cooking" which I can microwave, also with added raisins. But I was really hungry so I added an egg. 

Normally this is fine, but yesterday I got impatient and the soft-nuked egg in the luscious nest of hot oatmeal and raisins was very appealing. Usually, I err on the side of safety and nuke an additional 30 seconds, rendering the egg hard-boiled. It's impatience that I regret because not an hour later and my stomach is cramping something fierce. I know it's food poisoning. I'm not running a temperature though. In fact, I'm freezing and the thermometer reads 96.4F. My hands are worse at 94F. As much as I try to muscle through it, I can't and expel the remains of my late breakfast. My stomach continues to cramp sporadically when I sip lukewarm water. Eventually, I manage to eat some JujyFruit candy: sugar and gelatin are easy on the stomach. I skip dinner. 

Today I'm much better but still cautious. I have coffee and it's fine, granted I added a spoon of Hershey's dark cocoa to the sugar and half 'n half. I eat instant oatmeal with added raisins. Still okay. I drink an Ensure RTD after my workout. Tummy still okay. And the workout itself was fine. 

I skip the Pigeon Pose because all it seems to do is make my glutes really sore. I'm not convinced it's helping my sciatica. Seriously, the best movement so far has been the Bird Dog, although I'm at a loss to explain why. I do a few hammer-grip pull-ups as a "warmup" to Seated Cable Rows. That works well as a pre-exhaustion because the first set of rows is ridiculously hard. Sets getting much easier as time goes on. I'm sorely tempted to add a half brick (7.5 lbs) to the stack next week for maybe 3 sets and see how that feels. Because I'm bored. 

Next weekend I'm participating in a Scout training event for adults. They've emailed a Covid questionnaire and I don't think I should tell them I've felt nauseous or unwell. It's not Covid. It's food poisoning. Besides, I'm getting my second vaccination shot in a few days. And again, I don't think the 6 hours I felt ill need to be disclosed. So, yes, I'm answering No. 

Am I a bit nervous? Yes, of course. Especially since I'm blood type AB, which is apparently the most prone to clotting. Ugh. The only reassuring thing about this study is that in spite of having a higher propensity toward clotting, there was not an "associated trend to mortality." Whew. But the paper studies cardiac events, not reactions to the Covid vaccines. Still, I figure being vaccinated will lessen my chances of becoming seriously ill should I be exposed to the virus. 

19 April 2021
Sunny Monday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 1
HR 198-147, 91, 99
Cal 312
Distance 2.82

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Happy Baby stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 50
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

Sneaky HGPU 14

EZ Seated Cable Rows
70lbs x 12 reps x 6 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...