Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Autumn Again

The weather shifted toward the reasonable season of Autumn with heavy fog in the morning, followed by precipitation in the afternoon. Drenching rains all night into the next day. No park for pups tomorrow. They did have plenty of playtime with their new pals today. I get to the gym a bit past noon and since school is closed due to the Veterans Day holiday, there are a lot of teenagers. I'm surprised not to see any girls. 

I do a basic routine: cardio, core, weights, more cardio. Today I'm able to do 15 minutes on the ClimbMill at Speed 6 even though the console tells me I'm only averaging 52-55 steps per minute. Sometimes I get up to 57 but not often. I don't know what controls the speed of the machine because it certainly isn't me. 

Today is a basic DB shoulder day and I always feel better after the first two sets. It takes me a long time to warm up, but I don't have time to do a multitude of exercises. Not if I want to include cardio and core movements in my workout. Because of the rising Covid-19 infection rates, NYS has decided that virus "hot spots" must shut down by 10 pm. Lumped in with bars and restaurants that serve liquor are gyms and fitness centers. 

I haven't read anything lately where a gym or fitness center was a superspreader event when social distancing and mask guidelines were enforced. My gym closes at 10 pm anyway so this new guideline doesn't affect us. But still, I wonder what evidence there is that gyms and fitness centers are a concern if you're following the rules. Of course, as I've noted, a lot of people can't seem to follow basic, simple guidelines, like the mask goes over your nose, especially when you're breathing hard. Everyone's spritzing sanitizer but I'm not sure how many are washing their hands properly if at all. 

I know pandemic fatigue is real and if you don't personally know someone affected, then the dangers feel less real. I was waiting at my dermatologist's office when I overhead two staffers: "I was going to visit my friend today, but I just found out she's got Covid!" The supermarket where I shop has also announced on two separate occasions in the past 4 days that shoppers and/or workers might've been exposed to someone who tested positive. It's real. We're not visiting family for Thanksgiving because some people are susceptible and others work in healthcare. It's not worth the risk. No one wants to be the one who got everyone sick. 

11Nov2020
Weather Wednesday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 3
HR 89, 144, 191
Cal 324
Distance 2.89

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 50
Quick Mat Stretch

DB raises supersets
lateral standing 15 lbs x 15 x 3, x 20
reverse inclined flys 15 lbs x 15 w/u
20lbs x 20 x 3

Matrix ClimbMill
Speed 6
Min 15
HR 132
Cal 119
Steps 809 (52-57 per min)
Floors 50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...