Monday, November 9, 2020

Data Without Information

This sciatica, if it is sciatica and not something scarier like spinal stenosis (my dad had it and it prevented him from taking leisurely walks as he got older), is putting a serious crimp in my lifestyle. While I'm able to work out at the gym, and do mundane chores like grocery, walking the pups, laundry, dishwashing, things that require a bit more have become out of bounds. Like going for a pleasant walk down the bike trail yesterday. My son was bored and wanted a change of scenery. My husband decided that the paved, mostly flat bike trail would be easy enough. Except it wasn't. 

I got maybe 50 yards and had to turn back due to the excruciating discomfort in my right leg. Maybe it was the backless Oofos clogs I was wearing, but I don't think that wearing sneakers would have helped. I've given up wearing my Ariat FatBaby cowboy boots. Not because they're uncomfortable. They are very comfortable. But they also have a heel. Not a big heel, but enough of a heel to make my hammertoes arch up and spasm. My feet now require flatness or a negative heel drop. I'm not ready to investigate Earth shoes yet. Remember those ugly-as-sin shoes from the 70s? 

Meanwhile, I get a notification that I can check information online from my doctor. Unfortunately, after a lot of hoop-jumping, the only thing I know is that they know I had X-rays. Yep, that's informative. Not. There's a lot of data mining in the healthcare system. They disguise it as safety protocols but it doesn't really do anything to keep you or your provider safe. I have an appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow regarding this rash. He's part of a big umbrella conglomerate that has swallowed up most of the local medical practices. 

The office has texted me three times and called twice to confirm the appointment, made me pre-register, repeat countless iterations of "No I'm not sick nor have I knowingly been in contact with anyone with Covid-19" (because I wouldn't be seeing a dermatologist if I had), and tried to sign me up to agree to receive "beneficial and relevant emails and texts related to your condition" which means agreeing to promotional advertising from other entities. Uh, no thanks. Because I just don't get enough spam and junk mail. Meanwhile, my mail server seems to arbitrarily decide what goes into my Junk Mail folder and I have to fish out important and relevant emails, never mind that I've been corresponding with said entity by email so why the hell are you suddenly classifying it as Junk Mail?! But I digress.

My grandmother would call this weather "Indian Summer" but I'm more fond of a riff off Hobbit speak. It's Second Summer with temps approaching 80F today. I get to the gym around noon (dogs spent a long time at the park today) and knock out most of the items on my list: cardio, core, weights. Inclined Presses require me to steady myself with a tiptoe on the foot bar. I can't comfortably reach the ground and the front handle under the seat is too short to put my feet on. I have to take all pressure off my right leg when I do Inclined Presses, otherwise, there's a lot of pain. I don't have any issues with Seated Cable Rows other than being surrounded by old men and teenage boys. 

I don't get around to the second set of cardio. Tomorrow looks good for a Cardio Day, but only after my doctor appointment when I find out whether this rash is indeed shingles again or not. My GP has already put me on an antiviral horse pill that I take 3 times daily. So far no change. Isn't life fun?! 

9Nov2020
Second Summer Monday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 1
HR 81, 112, 136, 188
Cal 309
Distance 2.80

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 50
Piriformis Stretches
Quick Mat Stretch

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
+20 x 20
+40 x 15
+50 x 15? lost count

Seated Cable Row (light)
70 lbs x 15 reps
85 x 12
92.5 x 10, 10, 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...