Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Three-minute Warning

I had planned a longer workout since I didn't have any time restrictions. However, when my earbuds suddenly interrupted the tunes with an ominous "Power low," I didn't know how much time I had left. It turns out it's three minutes before the voice says, "Shutting down" and there's no further discussion. I know it's three minutes because I was on the StepMill watching the timer. I wanted to do 20 minutes, but 10 was as far as I got, 6 of them tuneless. 

Music makes a big difference in my workouts, especially where cardio endurance is concerned. Most of the people working out at my gym ignore the piped-in music and sport headpieces that range from minimalist Apple Airpods to padded headphones that look more suitable for the boxing ring. I'm not sure how people keep the latter on while working out, and how they don't fill with sweat. 

Six minutes is as long as I can tolerate something as mindless and boring as the StepMill. I'm sure I'd find the elliptical equally mind-numbing without music. Music acts both as a distracting agent and an analgesic. Things hurt less when there's amenable music. Of course, when the gym's ambient sound roars into ear-piercing decibels of rap or country-western, everyone's workout suffers. I did manage to sneak in a few hammer grip pull-ups though. 

I skip doing alternating bicycles between sets of crunches. When the right sciatic nerve is upset, the left lower back over the hip can also be sensitive to twisting movements. This is one of the reasons I suspect sacroiliac joint disorder. But, of course, I'd have to schedule an appointment with an orthopedist if I want a definitive diagnosis. I worry that the test itself will be worse than the problem. And yes, I'm referring to the toenail biopsy I had 10 months ago that determined that no, I do not have subungual melanoma. The toenail has mostly grown back but it's still not quite a hundred percent normal yet. 

On the other hand, I worry that prolonged numbness signifies nerve damage that might become permanent. I already have enough problems with that leg, foot, those errant toes... Meanwhile, I'll explore other stretches and exercises that won't aggravate the condition. And like a true gym rat, I'm thinking "Let's do this again tomorrow."

21October2020
Cardio Wednesday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 3
HR 194, 148, 115
Cal 312
Distance 2.82

Crunches x 60

Skip 50 Bicycles

Crunches x 60
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Pushups 25
Piriformis Stretches
Quick Mat Stretch

sneaky HGPU 10

Matrix Step
Speed 5
Min 10
HR 123
Cal 70
Steps 474
Floors 29

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...