Thursday, October 22, 2020

Sartorius Distraction

Sartorial is defined by Oxford's dictionary as "relating to tailoring, clothes, or style of dress." The word derives from the Latin tailor and to patch, hence clothing. The sartorius muscle is the longest muscle in the human body, and it is also named for tailors, apparently because they were known to sit cross-legged. It's this muscle that crosses from the hip down the crease between the leg and the pelvis and along the inner thigh. It's also this crease that is wildly distracting when one's pants don't quite fit properly. 

I wore cheap new sports pants today. My main concern had been that they were evenly hemmed. They have a wide waistband that was promising for comfort. I have a lot of issues with pants lengths and waistbands. These wide waistband pants reminded me of the super comfy maternity pants I wore a long time ago when I was in my third trimester. No doubt these pants are supposed to be worn with the waistband folded down (like yoga pants) but I don't. Instead, I let it hug my torso. It's not uncomfortable, but when I sit or bend over, the top rolls and folds down on its own. Very annoying. Worse, the pants seem to gather in the creases between thigh and hip. Extremely annoying. 

Maybe that's why I didn't really notice the sciatica today. Or maybe it's actually feeling better? I'm careful to place my left leg down during Inclined Presses. Absurdly, my right foot hovers in the air when it's not nestled atop the left foot. (It feels like there's a cord running too short through my leg and down my calf into the sole of my foot. Mostly, I feel it when my stance is unbalanced or I'm sitting on something too hard and too high, like most benches.) I increase the weight for Seated Cable Rows and know that this is the heaviest I can safely move without compromising my lower back. Still, it's better than it was before... 

22Oct2020
Dreary Thursday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 1
HR 131-180, 114, 85
Cal 311
Distance 2.81

Crunches x 60
50 Bicycles
Crunches x 60
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Pushups 25
Piriformis Stretches
Quick Mat Stretch

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
+20 x 20
+40 x 20
+50 x 20

Seated Cable Row
70 lbs x 15 reps
77.5 x 12
85 x 12
92.5 x 8

Matrix Step
Speed 5
Min 15
HR 111
Cal 105
Steps 706
Floors 44

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...