Friday, October 9, 2020

Abbreviated Workout

Today was a super abbreviated workout but at least I got it done: cardio and core. Unfortunately, the ellipticals were both busy so I resigned myself to huffing and puffing on the StepMill. My sciatic pain has also caused me to rethink some of my other activities. Like Bird Dogs. It's a basic core stance and not all that difficult to attain. But when the sciatic nerve is inflamed, extending a back leg out just makes the pain worse and last longer. Today I skip it. I also skip a backward/forward stretch that I mostly feel in the hamstring and quads. 

Normally I'd do the DB Shoulder Superset routine, but I have things to do like get my son to his dental checkup. It's been a year! Normally, we go semiannually but the pandemic has caused a lot of schedule disruptions. I may blow off the annual mammogram this year. There's a lot of debate as to whether it's necessary if there are absolutely no risk factors, every previous test has been normal, and there are no worrisome symptoms that something's gone awry. 

from yogauonline.com
When I get home, I research the Bird Dog pose to see why it's causing me such discomfort. Instead, I discover it's being promoted as an exercise that helps with joint stability. Perhaps my problem is that I point my toe instead of keeping my foot flexed? There are many websites with instructions on how to perform the movement, with images that show either foot position without distinction. Does it matter? I'll have to try this again with the foot flexed--something I'm actually loathed to do because sufferers of hammertoes are advised to stretch the foot tendons (by pointing and curling the afflicted toes). Well, at least the big toe appears nearly normal again. It's only been 10 months! 

9Oct2020
Brisk Friday

Matrix Step
Speed 5
Min 30
HR 135
Cal 212
Steps 1420
Floors 88

Piriformis Stretch
60 Bicycles
Crunches x 2 x 60
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
(Skip Bird Dogs 60s x 2)
Pushups 25
Piriformis Stretch
Quick Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...