Monday, September 21, 2020

The Mask Trade-Off

I almost broke out the winter coat this morning when the dogs went for a walk. At 38F, it wouldn't have been unreasonable. But the Autumnal Equinox is tomorrow and the end of the week promises temps in the 70s. Go figure. The husband had work to do at home so I went to the gym solo and got to try out my newly purchased Jaanuu reusable, washable cloth mask. Like all factory-made garments, I first machine washed and dried this item before use. I make a lot of use out of the assorted laundering net bags I bought on Amazon!

At first, I was worried that the elastic earpieces would be uncomfortable. They are a bit snugger than the disposable "paper" masks I have been wearing and I have sensitive ears that don't bear the weight of sunglasses very well. The "paper" masks are coated though to deflect moisture so sweat and breath build up inside the mask and pool as condensation. Yes, after I do cardio, the inside of the "paper" mask is literally so wet I can blot up the liquid with facial tissues. 

I don't have this problem with the new cloth mask. It does feel a little hotter on my face because it is several layers of cloth, but it never feels wet. I wear it throughout my entire workout, from cardio to core to weights back to cardio. The fabric is truly breathable! I don't have a problem wearing it after my shower either, although, when I get home, I toss it in the laundry along with all my gym clothes. Luckily, they come in packs of five. They're not "medical grade" but I suppose they'll do! 

I hadn't exercised all weekend although I did make some household repairs and took our pups to the dog park for the very first time. This morning, soreness emanating from the right glute popped up in the outside calf and the arch of the foot. Only exercise seems to make it feel better in spite of assorted stretches. 

At the Smith, I find myself doing 20 reps per set. I think it's time to increase the weights a tad. I can't say the same for Seated Cable Rows. I have a tenderness in my right elbow that's been exacerbated by the dog's refusal to walk nicely on a leash. Rather, he tends to run full speed in erratic directions until he's finally emptied his bowels. Upping the weight at the Cable Rows is going to aggravate that elbow so I'm okay with leaving the weight where it is. Instead, I'll work up reps. 

The Stretch Cage is situated between the Ab Twist and another version of a Seated Press station. There's at least three or four different machines targeting the same muscle groups, yet the Stretch Cage is off limits. Ugh. I glance at the Assisted Pull-Up machine. I can set the weight so the platform doesn't move but the handles are too thick for my hands, and they're set so far apart that it's difficult for me to pull myself up. 

I only get a few partial pull-ups because of how awkward this is. And no one, I repeat, no one has ever benefited from the Assisted Pull-up Machine enough to actually do a pull-up. Seriously. I'm half-tempted to sneak a few pull-ups on the Stretch Cage when there's no one using either of the stations next to it. But I'll have to be quick. And lucky. 

21Sept2020
PreEquinox Monday
(sore right glute)

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 1
HR 151, 195, 126
Cal 312
Distance 2.82

Crunches x 2 x 60
50 Bicycles
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Pushups 25
Quick Mat Stretch

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
+20 x 15
+40 x 20, 20, 20

Seated Cable Row (light)
70 lbs x 15, 15, 15

Matrix Step
Speed 5
Min 15
HR 135
Cal 105
Steps 707
Floors 44

Assisted Pull-up w no assist
6 too wide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...