Thursday, September 24, 2020

Washable Masks Means Pet Hair in the Mouth

Sweating from the top
My husband was impressed with the washable, reusable Jaanuu face masks but they were a tad small on him so he ordered ones more suitable for a man's face. That means they're bigger. These masks also come in a kid's size because hybrid learning means kids go to school a few days a week and have to wear a mask the entire time. That's at least 6 hours and the mask has to be comfortable. Hybrid classes start in two weeks in my school district. But my son is bummed that lab classes for Chemistry will be pre-recorded videos with little to no actual lab work. 

In general, I'm satisfied with the Jaanuu masks. Yes, they are hot when you're breathing hard doing cardio, but they also keep you warm when you're standing around outside chatting with other parents, like at a Scout Troop meeting. At the gym today, sweat rolls down my face and is absorbed by the mask fabric. Because there is an internal liner, the mask doesn't stick to my skin. Yes, the mask is wet to the touch when I pull it off to blow my nose or sip some water. The black ones don't show the sweat stains. The gray mask is mottled with sweat but it's not too noticeable. 

Another consideration is for pet owners. I'm the type of person who absolutely can't stand having hair in my mouth. It doesn't matter whose hair it is. So, if you have ever-shedding dogs (or cats, or dogs who shed like cats) you'll want to take extra care to keep freshly laundered masks away from the rest of your clothes. It's nearly impossible to fish dog hair out of your mouth when you're masked and pedaling hard. 

Inside liner

I'm literally the only person on the entire cardio platform this morning. I'm really tired though. Is it because I added just one more cardio session yesterday? More people trickle in around lunchtime. Most people have no trouble keeping their masks up over their nose for the entire duration of their workout, except when they need to rehydrate. 

Later, I'm able to increase the weight slightly on the Smith Inclined Press and do it for reps. Being tired is an illusion. But that pesky right sciatic nerve is extremely unhappy with the big adjustable bench today. I have my feet placed on a footrest under the seat but the action of pressing the bar up causes a surprising amount of discomfort in the right glute. I'm still seeing the chiropractor. He still thinks it's a disk problem. I hope not.

Seated Cable Rows are only hard on the elbows at the end of the last set, but I don't feel confident in my back health to increase the weight. Maybe I'll sneak a few Hammer Grip Pull-ups tomorrow at the Stretch Cage. While I'm on the StepMill, I see the new guy who always wears his mask under his nose. He's on a Cybex pseudo-elliptical and now his mask is under his lower lip. Seriously? I flip through my phone and find the screengrab of Dude With A Sign. Then, as I walk past the new guy, I hold my phone at him. He looks and shakes his head embarrassed, then pulls his mask up. Yeah, I'm that kid in grade school that nobody liked. 

After changing and showering, I put on an Old Navy reusable cloth mask. No, I didn't iron it after laundering either and it shows. I'd never work out in it, but it's good enough to walk the aisles of the grocery. 


24Sep2020
Thursday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 1
HR 122, 148, 175
Cal 311
Distance 2.82

Crunches x 2 x 60
50 Bicycles
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Pushups 25
Quick Mat Stretch

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 20
+20 x 15
+40 x 20
+50 x 20, 20

Seated Cable Row (light)
70 lbs x 15 x 3 sets

Matrix Step
Speed 5
Min 15
HR 136
Cal 103
Steps 688
Floors 43

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...