Friday, September 11, 2020

The Magic Number is Three

During the first 35 minutes of cardio today, my mask got so soggy that I had trouble keeping it out of my mouth when I inhaled. Breath is hot and wet. Mostly wet and the mask fabric holds a lot of moisture, like a washcloth. As I'm pedaling, I yawn several times to maneuver my nose toward drier spots inside the mask. Program 3 doesn't seem as intense as Program 2, and even though I pause at least 4 times to blow my nose, wipe my face, sip some water, I still manage to achieve the same distance or better.  

In the Aerobic Room, I swap the wet mask for a dry (albeit used) mask that I've tucked into my gear bag. Immediate relief! My abs are a tad sore when I do crunches and planks. Push-ups seem a little harder today. In the weight area, I recognize a few more regulars from before the pandemic. Slowly, people are trickling back to work out, see familiar faces, determine whether there's enough equipment to justify the monthly expense. 

I only do Reverse Grip BB Rows in the Smith and Walking Lunges in the Aerobic Room (because it's empty and I won't run the risk of bumping into someone). My lower back and hips are still stiff with a tingle of sciatica. But I'm too busy to make another appointment with the chiropractor. Today I have the fool's errand of finding an actual compass for my son's geometry class. School has opened online only but there have been no supply lists until today. Geometry requires a compass, and it is nearly impossible to find a store that actually carries one. 

I decide to finish my workout with a robust 15 minutes on the StepMill at speed setting 5. After 5 minutes, I've worked up a good sweat although the mask isn't so soggy as to stick to my mouth as I pant. However, after showering and changing into clean clothes, that damp mask is the last thing I want to put over my face. Luckily, I have another clean and dry mask in my bag. Yes, 3 is the magic number. 

At home, I try to find reliably decent washable masks that are breathable and won't suffocate you once they're soaked with sweat. A five-pack from Old Navy looks reasonable and economical. Otherwise, I'll continue to use the blue "medical" masks my husband received from his friend in Australia when it was all but impossible to find them here. Now, literally every store sells hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, masks and face shields.  

10Sept2020
Rainy Thursday
120.2 fully clothed dry

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 3
HR 155 h193 min 86
Cal 317
Distance 2.86

Crunches x 2 x 60
50 Bicycles
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Pushups 25
Quick Mat Stretch

Smith RG BB Rows
Bar x 25
+50 x 25 reps x 3 sets

Walking Lunges
20 x 2 (aerobic room)

Matrix Step
Speed 5
Min 15
HR 137
Cal 103
Steps 686
Floors 42

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...