Monday, October 7, 2019

Jindo Is a Another Word for Patience

The dog we agreed to adopt was stuck in traffic for several hours so he didn't arrive until early afternoon. I hadn't realized that both his human parents (who had divorced over a year ago) were coming to see him settled. A lot of questions went unasked. The pup refused to get out of the car. Well, not exactly refused. More like he just stood there bewildered and had to be carried out. Most dogs are excited to get out of the car and want to explore and sniff everywhere. Not Jindos, and especially not dogs from dog meat farms. Not that he'd ever been on a dog meat farm. His pregnant mother had been the rescue. She was also adopted.

What's great about these rescue organizations is that they tend to keep track of everyone and encourage small groups of related pups to stay in touch. So I know about my dog's siblings and his mom and how they are fairing, how they behave, and if they have any health issues. My dog is small compared to his brothers. But he's been through several moves just this year, and that has caused his weight to drop 10 lbs to barely 50. His brothers are 67 and 60 lbs.
Not my dog's siblings

He and his siblings were all placed within a few months of their birth. But dogs raised for meat are, like a lot of domesticated animals, bred to be docile. Which is a shame, because Jindos are the national dog of Korea. They're known for their loyalty and protectiveness, as well as for being hunters. They are not big, goofy, happy labradors. Although similar in appearance to the beloved Japanese Shiba Inu (aka "Doge"), these dogs have suffered the ignominy of being relegated to the category of livestock. Both breeds are considered closer in lineage to wolves than the dogs we are most familiar with, except for huskies and malamutes.

from: MyFirstShiba.com

Our new dog is fiercely loyal by nature to the people who have raised him since he was a puppy. And, as my son puts it, he's conflicted. Because they keep leaving him. Part of him hopes they'll return. He might suspect it's different this time. He hasn't really left his crate since he arrived on Friday. There's food and water a few feet from his open crate. And wee-wee pads. Because he won't let anyone take him out for a walk. Last night he snuck out to lap some water. I've hand-fed him treats and some kibble. At some point, he will need to void. I've heard from other people with rescued Jindos that it may take weeks to build the trust necessary for even a quick walk onto the lawn. A rescued Jindo is an exercise in patience, but I don't mind.

At the gym, I'm not happy about the bags I see under my eyes in the harsh lighting. (That's why selfies taken lying on the floor are so good! Gravity hides all the droopy flesh from the camera's view!) I'm actually a little sore from yesterday's Columbus Day parade march. My son and I walked 2 miles to the venue and then 2 miles back to the car. It rained on us. We're both suffering from scratchy throats and dry coughs that make your eyes water. "Ragweed," my son tells me. I tend to agree.

After pull-ups and core, there's the pushing part. B is on the Smith. She's become very self-conscious about how much time she spends there so she's off the machine before I get my second set on the Inclined Breaker Bench. Great! I knock out my sets and reps fairly quickly. Then 20 plus minutes back on the elliptical to get warm and sweaty again. After a good stretch, time to shower! Back home, the dog is still in his crate with the door wide open. I feed him treats while my son and I share silly videos between our phones. I offer him a piece of kibble, which is harder and crunchier than the treats. He eats several pieces if I proffer them one by one. This behavior reminds me of our last dog, a Chow-Boxer mix. As a puppy, he wasn't all that interested in eating so I would sit on the floor and hand-feed him his kibble. It's very zen and I'm okay with that.

Monday Push

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.86
Calories 318
HR 150-200 (87)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 21

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Inclined Breaker Bench
Bar (45) x 15
55 x 15

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 13
70 x 25, 25, 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/15 reps x 4 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12, 10, 10

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.05
Calories 229
HR 140-176 (87)

Mat Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...