Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Head Cold Hump Day

I had hoped those annoying sniffles were the result of allergies. It is the season, after all. But no. I fear I've succumbed to a seasonal head cold. I'm not the only one. The rainy weather with its depressive barometer doesn't help so I'm a little groggy as well. There's no school today and I manage to sleep in enough to garner almost 7 hours.

The good news is that at yesterday's glaucoma doc appointment, my pressures remained steady at 13-14, and when I asked for a review of my last Visual Field exam back in July (I was expecting the worst news since my right eye temporarily wasn't seeing color or light properly), the doc told me that the VFs were comparable to exams dating back to 2017. While we are all told that you can't regain lost vision, her answer suggested that my optic nerves are not deteriorating. My vision appeared to be stable. Which I find puzzling, even though I'm greatly relieved.

We also discussed my inability to get my health insurance to cover a prescription for Rhopressa. Currently, I'm using samples provided by my doctor's office. The doc was excited about the newest drug to be approved by the FDA, Rocklatan, which is a combination of active ingredients in Rhopressa and Travatan (which I also use), but in a generic form. So, essentially, I'm already on a form of Rocklatan, which won't be covered by my health insurance either. At least I feel I'm doing the right things in my exercise routines.

I've made a flu shot appointment for my son this afternoon, so I cut my workout short. I'm also blowing snot out of my head all morning, and even though this doesn't really affect my ability to work out, I know that I should conserve my energy. I don't have the most robust immune system and I've been supplementing with additional zinc and lysine. I selectively skip the second cardio session and Reverse Grip Curls, and substitute Seated Cable Rows. Unexpectedly, I'm able to increase my weight on this last movement. I also skip the Mat Stretch. I have a thought to pick up a few groceries but the only thing I have time for is milk.

I'm rushing back for no reason apparently. I take my son to his doctor's appointment, but the door is locked. The receptionist is in and asks us if we have an appointment. Uh, yeah. I made it with you. She vaguely recalls but didn't put it in the system. There's no one in the office. Some emergency somewhere. She makes a new appointment for Monday when school is again closed. I wish doctors had to pay us for missed appointments because I'm tired of those recordings and letters telling us we owe them $50 if we don't give them 24-hour notice of cancellation. What about my time? Ugh.

Meanwhile, the new dog is beginning to settle in although it will take a while before he realizes that he's in his new forever home. My son wants to be able to pet the dog. I confess I haven't pet the dog yet either. But I have managed to feed him a few times, and have cleaned up two messes so far. I'm an experienced dog mom. This is still easier than housebreaking a puppy. But puppies are typically more reciprocal with their affection. Jindos are not known for sloppy exuberance. It's a trait I respect.

Head Cold Wednesday Pull
30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.90
Calories 3.25
HR 143-194 (77, 95, 90, 80)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 22

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches Legs Up 60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Crunches knees bent 60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12, 12, 12

Smith RG BB Rows
80 x 25 x 3

Seated Cable Rows
70 x 12
80 x 12
85 x 12
90 x 12


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...