Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Five Dollar Tuesday and It's Crowded as Heck

If I hadn't waited until 3 am to go to bed, I might've gotten up in time to sneak in a quick workout before rushing home to wake my son. We thought we'd catch the early showing of Abominable, an animated movie about some kids trying to help a yeti go home. However, sleep is vitally important and getting enough is hard even on lazy weekends or school holidays.

We get to the cinema 15 minutes before the first showtime and it is jam-packed with parents and their kids. Little kids. Babies even. We're both surprised at how crowded it is. At least we get tickets and reasonable seats although my son said there were tiny feet kicking his seat the entire duration of the movie. Still, we both enjoyed the film. Loved the details! Steamed white pork buns have been a favorite snack since childhood (so much better than the baked brown ones). My sister-in-law's name is Yi, the same as the protagonist. And we knew something was off about Dr. Zara when she claimed her pet was an albino jerboa, not a weird gerbil. Albinos have pink eyes due to a lack of pigment. Her "pet" did not.



I have to revise my gym schedule and make Thursday my intense cardio day. We've been trying to adopt a dog for some months now but things haven't worked out. First, we tried to adopt a Chow-mix (like our past dog) from a local rescue but we were ultimately rejected without the rescue giving any cause. Some rescues are run by flaky people. Then, at a different shelter, we saw a dog who looked great online, but in person, we were told she had some issues. We weren't the right family for her. Another rescue won't adopt their dogs out past a 30-mile radius and we're 55 miles from them.

The local humane society is a great place but I'm not keen on pitbulls or beagles, and that's what they have. Yet another rescue never answered queries posted via email. Later I read rather disturbing reviews about the health of animals adopted from them. Then my brother told me about a Shiba Inu rescue in NJ but warned me not to use my own name since the guy who runs the rescue is his former boss and apparently hates all Asian people. Oh jeeze! Why even bother then? Besides, I'm not looking for a Shiba Inu. I'm looking for a Jindo or a Chow-mix.

I've been "conversing" with the latest rescue organization for some weeks now. I'd wanted to get a puppy who got along with other dogs, then perhaps adopt a sibling for it. But quite suddenly, a dog who had been adopted a few years earlier needed to be re-homed because his parents had divorced, and is so often the case, neither of them could find housing that allowed dogs. So we're adopting a 3-yr old male who is shy and needs to be the only dog. Just like our dog who passed away almost exactly a year ago. His mom is driving him down, along with all his vet records, his crate, bed, toys, bowls, and food. They're supposed to arrive on Friday but I don't know what time. So I'll probably go to the gym for a quick cardio workout and then dash home. It's a 3-hour drive from their town.

Tomorrow, however, I'm going to do a Cardio & Pull Day workout. Yep. Because tomorrow there's school and we'll be at the bus stop at 6:45 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...