Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Anticipating the Worst

I only had time for one exercise so I decided to make it count. Not that everything else I do is inconsequential. But I fully anticipated being mildly incapacitated this afternoon if not greatly inconvenienced due to the appointment I had with the doctor who is supposed to do my nail bed biopsy. I even enlisted a friend to drive me to and from the appointment!

So what machine and program do I choose? Intervals on the Precor! Except, contrary to popular usage, I go as fast as I can in the troughs and slow down when the elevation peaks. I also had to make a few adjustments to the program and I'm glad it lets me, to a point. The default Interval setting shows an elevation of 4 and resistance = 1 in the troughs, and an elevation of 10 with a resistance of 8 for the hills. I raise the elevation to 5 because lower than that is harder on my knees. Elevation 1 is akin to running on a flat surface and my joints really hate it. (I like 7 for my cooldowns.)

I also have to drop the resistance from 8 to 5 because my knees are not happy with that much pressure. I would've raised the peak elevation to 11 or 12 but the program does have limits in place. I get as fast as 260 SPM (strides per minute) for a few seconds during the next to last cycle. My heart rate ping pongs from highs of 189 to lows of 97 without any change to how hard I'm pedaling. I can't explain it. I'm drenched when I'm done but I have to skip the Stretch Cage. Snow Bird is doing his weird calisthenics in it and he'll be there a while.

At my doctor's appointment, I'm told that the biopsy required to determine the cause of that weird streak on my toenail will actually be quite painful. Ugh. Unless I'm the type who can run around on rocky beaches barefoot? Nope. I'm the princess who has to turn her socks inside out because the seams chafe. The princess who cannot walk around barefoot because that's just too painful.

The surgeon can do it with just local anesthetic but the injections themselves will be painful and he will have to peel back the actual toenail. The wound dressing will make it extremely difficult to wear normal shoes. Open-toed sandals or something like that would be best. The toe may throb for several hours, or even a few days. OMG! That'd rule out going to the gym, and even driving!

The doc recommends using the ambulatory surgical unit at an affiliated hospital several miles away. (I was really hoping to avoid another ridiculous deductible as well, but I'm sure the health insurance company will insist I cough up those bucks.) I can have it done next week, or scheduled in December. I choose December because, done with anesthesia the way my cataract/glaucoma surgery was handled (relaxed, anesthetized but awake), I will need to have bloodwork and an EKG done by my primary care physician not more than two weeks prior. It's impossible to get an appointment with her that quickly. Plus, in December there's the remote possibility that I can get my husband to drive me. He's really squeamish so it's best not to give him too many details.

I, on the other hand, have to know all the gory details, even if they include graphic photos of each procedure. I've narrowed this down to a term called longitudinal melanonychia, or a pigmented band of melanin in the nail. It can be benign. Or not. If not, melanoma most often affects thumbs, index fingers and big toes. Ugh. (I need my thumbs!) I'm pretty sure it's not a splinter hemorrhage. At least I'll have a few more weeks that I can work out so I'd better make the most of it!
from: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Just Cardio Tuesday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program Intervals (adjusted)
Miles 2.99
Calories 339
HR 138-202 (96, 86, 97)

Skip Stretch Cage (occupied!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...