Thursday, October 3, 2019

Is It The Barometer or Fatigue

If you are awakened in the middle of a dream or worse, a deep dreamless sleep, you might feel disoriented or even drunk as you stagger to the bathroom. If the feeling persists even after a cup of hot coffee, you might believe that the weeklong sleep deficit has finally caught up with you. I've had a case of mild vertigo for the past two days. Nothing spectacular, just a sense of unease and imbalance, like my head is too heavy on one side. This morning I drive all the way to the gym only to discover I've left my purse at home. My purse with money, credit cards, hairbrush, lip balm, and countless other tiny mom things.

Wow, I must be really tired to forget that. I debate doing my workout anyway but realize that I had planned to pick up a few items at the store afterward and I wouldn't be able to do that. So I go home. At home, I talk myself into taking a nap to rid myself of this vaguely dizzy feeling. But even back in my jammies, I can't sleep. I put the Relax Melodies app on for 20 minutes and find it grating. So I put my gym clothes back on and go to the gym again, but this time with my purse. It's raining and cold. The temperature actually drops 3 degrees as I drive, from 52 to 49F and it's mid-morning. That's not supposed to happen.

I've missed the morning crowd which makes me happy. Today is a Cardio Plus workout day because tomorrow I'm expecting my adopted pup to show up and I'll just have enough time to get a quick workout in. Cardio Plus days take much more time to finish. I see that one of the Nexersys machines is running again. The Gym Owner says he pulled it apart and put it back together again, but that it's delicate. You can't hit it hard. Just tap it. Uh, okay. That's half the fun, but of course, getting the combinations right is also fun. I'm not sure I'll have time for it tomorrow though.

I knock out my 3 sets of hammer grip pull-ups and do all my cardio. I also end the cross-trainer session before the 3-minute cooldown begins. And I increased my Seated Leg Curl slightly but skipped the Walking Lunges. It's getting late and I still need to shower and pick up milk before my son gets home. So maybe it's not fatigue. Maybe it's the dropping air pressure that's making my head feel wonky? There are lots of online articles correlating barometric pressure to migraines, headaches and joint pain. Lesser known is the fact that a drop in pressure can also thicken blood, making BP rise as the heart works harder to pump it, as well as causing blood sugar to drop. I never knew that!

Of course, my mom suffered from horrible sinus and ear problems, as well as vertigo and a heart murmur from rheumatic fever (untreated childhood strep infection). Heart murmurs can cause people to suffer dizziness. I don't think that's my problem. It feels like the weather. Tomorrow is supposed to be drier although still in the 50s. I'll take it!

Rainy Cold Cardio Thursday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.85
Calories 317
HR 157-195 (97)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Leg horizontal scissors 60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 Step Mill
Level 3
Calories 112
Total steps 708
Floors 44
HR 133

HGPU 20

15 X-trainer
Level 1 Manual
Calories 113
Miles 1.38
HR 231-146

2:1 Seated Leg Curls
15lbs x 15
30 x 12
35 x 12
40 x 12
45 x 8

HGPU 20

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...