Thursday, October 31, 2019

Halloween Workout

The only indication that today is different from all other days this week is that my son puts on his knight costume to wear to school. It's dark and raining when the school bus finally arrives. I'm also wearing a costume of sorts. I have a few items that I would never wear otherwise: skeleton tights and an oversized black tank with an aerated back (slits cut horizontally across) with skulls and roses on the front. I bought it the day after Halloween last year when there were a lot of pop-up Spirit Halloween stores. Now there aren't any. I got the skeleton tights from Kmart several years ago. There are no Kmarts anymore either.

Both the tights and the shirt are sized Medium. I can wear the shirt like a tunic. The tights fit but don't have much give to them in spite of claiming to be made of lycra and nylon. They have seams that leave red marks on my skin afterward. They also have a tag right on the back seam which eventually chafes when I do abdominal exercises. It's a good thing I only wear this once a year.

It's a Shoulders Plus workout day, which just means cardio, core, and deltoids. At first, I'm cold and I have my hoodie zipped all the way up. I appear to be the only person celebrating Halloween. Perhaps it's because the day is so dreary, rainy and dark. Or because it's a Thursday. I don't really care. I get my 30 plus minutes of cardio done, stretch, do my core workout and come back into the free weight area to work shoulders.

I use the regular 10 lb DBs instead of the chrome beauty bells and am surprised by how much easier doing Shoulder Presses feel. Perhaps because I actually did those mid- and high-band pulls at the Stretch Cage? However, I'm so spacey that I can't remember whether I did 2 or 3 sets. Ugh. Time to move on. The DB Lateral Raises superset with Reverse Inclined Flys are still heavy. At least until I warm up. By the 4th set, they feel pretty good. Done!

All I really need to do is a bit more cardio so I choose the Step Mill. The one with the working HR monitor is occupied so I use the other one. The slightly faster speed definitely makes this more exciting. And then some stretching. Well, whatever stretching my tights will actually let me do.

Halloween Thursday Shoulders

30 + 5 cd elliptical
Program 1
Miles 2.95
Calories 333
HR 152-200 (87, 98, 96, 94)

Cage Stretch
Mid-Band Pull 15
Hi-Band Pull 15

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

DB Shoulder Press s/s Front Raises
10 lbs x 12 reps x 2

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flys
20lbs x 12/20 reps x 4 sets

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 128
Total steps 842
Floors 52
HR n/a

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...