Monday, September 30, 2019

Unwinding the Tightly Wound

There's no school today and I get to sleep in a bit. I like to think I've caught up on my sleep but the sleep app disagrees. I'm not concerned. What I fixate on is the tire pressure warning light on my dashboard. That light comes on at least two to three times a year, whenever the temperature changes. The last time it popped up, my tires were off by a mere pound of pressure. Usually, I go to the local oil change place to have them check my tires but there are cars waiting in line for actual oil changes. This is more than just an irritation. It feels almost personal and it's going to gnaw at me until I get it checked out. I can't sit still so I can't wait in line. I'm off to the gym, annoyed that I detoured to the oil change place. I'll have to come back later when it's less crowded, when I'm calmer. Calm also means civil and pleasant. I feel irrational and that's not good.

There's only one thing that calms me down and of course, that's going to the gym. It's late morning so I hope I can get on the Smith machine today. The early crowd has already left, but The Mayor is holding court. He just never stops talking. Luckily, I'm able to do everything in my Push Day routine. I'm surprised at how easy the sets of 25 reps feel at the Smith machine. The DB supersets also feel okay. I'm mildly tempted to try doing my lateral raises sitting on an inclined bench, as demonstrated in the latest T-Nation article about exercises that can be done every day. Maybe next time. I'd definitely use lighter DBs. 



With my tunes plugged in and a sense of purpose, I can ignore intrusive racing thoughts. At the gym, I'm "in the moment" and don't concern myself with anything other than accomplishing the task before me whether it's moving weight or pedaling faster. It takes a lot of energy to focus like that, and music is integral. By the time I'm at my second cardio machine, my heart rate has slowed considerably. When I first put my hands on the elliptical, my HR appeared to be a ridiculously high 165 and that was before I'd even started exerting myself. It was my anxiety, which the tire pressure warning didn't help at all. By the end of my workout, the elliptical reads my starting HR at 136. I feel much better. 

Afterward, I drive by the oil change place again. There's no line! All the techs jump up at the chance to service a vehicle but all I want is for them to check my tire pressure. One fellow starts to explain that it's been cold and the temperature extremes sometimes trigger the tire sensors. Or perhaps the sensor needs replacing. Two other techs check the tires. Three of the four tires seem okay, but the front driver is down significantly, from the optimal 32 to 25 psi. I ask if I have a leak but no one can tell. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. 

Aggravated Monday Push

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.92
Calories 327
HR 152-200 (84)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 21

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 25, 25, 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/15 reps x 4 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12, 10, 8

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.03
Calories 226
HR 142-169 (136)

Mat Stretch




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...