Monday, October 9, 2017

Quickie Workout

There's no school today and my son went to a friend's sleep over birthday party yesterday. But I never know exactly when he'll need to be picked up. So after I get stuff done this morning and I'm about to leave for the gym, I get a text from him asking if I can get him between 11 and 12. I tell him I'll get him at 12 noon. It's 9:55 and I'd like to do something at the gym! It takes 15 minutes just to drive to the gym, and another few minutes to stash my stuff in a locker. I've narrowly missed the exiting aerobics class. Whew!

Again, I skip the cross-trainer in favor of the elliptical. I'm not happy with my old workout pants because the waist has lost it's shape and the weight of my iPod nano is enough to inch my pants down my hips uncomfortably. I resort to clipping it onto my tank strap. At least the ports are on the bottom of this model, which means it's less likely to be affected by sweat dripping off me. If these pants weren't so comfortable, I'd have tossed them into the GoodWill bag a long time ago. At least they don't hold onto the gym stink like they used to. No wonder Title Nine sportswear doesn't carry these pants anymore...

I'm getting used to the headphones, but I still feel spastic trying to adjust the volume. I have to press the buttons laterally against the earpiece against my head instead of just pressing down on the buttons. It's an ergonomic design issue, but at least they work and were reasonably priced. However, they're not really noise-cancelling, as I shove the earbud pieces deeper to block out the chatty people two machines over.

I have just enough time to do cardio, a set of pull ups, some push ups and maybe a few planks. Forget about stretching or anything else. There's no school and the gym is crowded today. My hubs has work though. And stores are open even if banks and post office are not. Go figure...

Before I shower, I step on the scale and hold my breath. 110 lbs is better than I expected so I'm happy. Tomorrow, maybe I'll whack the machine because I skipped it last week. I'm still debating getting a mammogram. It's been a year and honestly, I have like zero risk factors so I'm not really inclined to do this every year even though my Ob-Gyn insists that it's a valid test.

Of course, I can't get a hold of my son's dermatologist (because it's a holiday, ugh) so I've decided that I'm taking him off his acne medicine until he's done with this skin infection. He's been prescribed Mupirocin, a topical ointment, which seems to be working well, and an oral antibiotic, the generic version of Bactrim. And he only got prescribed the Bactrim after the attending physician read down to where I noted that my son had had a VRSA infection as a 3-year old. Because he was going to prescribe a cephalosporin. My son is currently taking amoxicillan-clavulanic acid (Clavamox, but for people instead of dogs) for his acne. Which makes me worried that he's brewing a resistant staph infection. It's probably time for him to stop taking that antibiotic, but I'm dreading the resurgence of his facial and back acne. Adolescence is hard enough without bad skin.

The tech wrote MRSA and I corrected her but she didn't write that down. Because she's a tech and I'm only a mom, and obviously don't understand the difference between methicillan-resistant Staph, and vancomycin-resistant. That difference meant an additional week in the hospital for my son, and a really really expensive antibiotic that, thank goodness, my insurance covered. Because it was a thousand dollars. And it was my son's pediatrician, Dr P (the man who retired last December), who made the diagnosis. My local hospital missed it. And the children's hospital downstate missed it after the first week and sent my son home, only to have Dr P say "Nooooo, get him readmitted." So, I don't have much faith in the docs who are now my son's pediatricians... Sigh.

Monday

35 elliptical
Program 1
Miles 3.01
Calories 342
Average Heart Rate 151

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

1 comment:

  1. Wow, glad your son recovered from the VRSA! Resistant infections are never a good thing... And we are back from 2wks off the iron, being on vacation and all. Good to be back home! Two weeks on an air mattress is hard on old bones.

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...