Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Skipping A Day and Calling It Rest

I skipped yesterday's workout and tried to get more things done around the house. Like cleaning. Not my favorite activity. Actually, I got more done today, like sorting my son's room out, before I went to the gym. Which means I got to the gym around noonish, when it's nice and empty. My feet and knees have made their displeasure known, so today I do 35 minutes on the elliptical instead of the cross-trainer. There's no arm involvement. The glide is smoother. And even though I seem to do less in mileage, it appears that I burn more calories. Appears. Because I don't punch in my weight or age for the machine to tell me that I'm not making the proper cardio range. But at least my foot doesn't fall asleep, and my knee doesn't ache, at least until I get to the Smith to do RDLs.

I think it's my stance that's screwing with my knees. Today it's my right knee. I inch my foot back slightly and try to set all my weight flat on my feet. If I don't have the proper stance, my lower back will hurt as I straighten up. At the heavier weights, I find it difficult to breathe, not that I'm holding my breathe throughout the entire set. I get all my reps and all my sets. That makes me feel better. I follow the same routine for the RG BB Rows. The gym is starting to fill up with HS kids. And middle age men. Or at least I think they're middle age. I'm always surprised to see someone's photo in the news and find out that they're in their 40s or early 50s, while I thought they were closer to 70. Good thing I don't talk to anyone.

I stay with the lighter weight for Seated One-Arm Cable Rows because I'd like my elbows to feel okay. I haven't really decided whether I'll try another set of pull ups. I'm okay with not. I don't even do push ups today! Guys are hovering around me, trying to be nonchalant. I'm so glad I have working earbuds and music so there's no awkwardness. Because I refuse to make eye-contact. So not interested in chatting with anyone. Seriously.

I saw the Mayor's BMW in the lot as I came in and realized that it's not a sedan, but an SUV that looks a lot like a hearse. However, I don't actually see or hear the Mayor at the gym today. Weird. I do see other regulars like WTC, Square Jaw, Loud Mouth, Big Mustache, Little R, and Ponytail Braid, whose long silver braid comes to his waist. Since he's much bigger than I am, I can only conclude that his hair is also much longer than mine.

Yesterday's hectic dinner consisted of reheated, store-bought fried chicken. It was tasty, but invariably well-seasoned, i.e., salty. It's either that or pizza on a night when my son and I have only 30 minutes between walking in the door from kung fu and leaving for Boy Scouts. We scarf down a few pieces before Scouts, and finish the remainder when we get home at 9 pm. So I'm not surprised that I'm a bit puffy today, and the gym scale confirms this with a 111.4 lb reading. I'm actually not trying at all to get leaner, and that's going to have repercussions. Some people bulk for the winter. I'd just like to maintain an overall healthiness. And being over 110 lbs isn't it.

Tomorrow will be better. Because tomorrow is probably Cardio Day. Unless I decide to repeat Shoulders. Nothing is set in stone so I'm free to change my mind if something doesn't quite feel right. But Friday is always Whack the Machine Day. Unless I make that a Cardio Day.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Tom Petty dying at age 66. That's not very old. The report of a DNR order suggests he knew he had heart disease or another terminal ailment. I remember listening to him during my HS and college years, although I was always more of a NewWave/Punk kind of kid... but I am a fan of REM, U2, The Wallflowers and Simon & Garfunkel, so go figure.


Wednesday

35 elliptical
Program 1
Miles 3.03
Calories 344
Average Heart Rate 144

HGPU 26

Smith RDLs
Bar (30lbs) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 12
150 x 12

Smith RG BB Rows
80lbs x 25
100 x 25
120 x 25

Seated 1-Arm Cable Rows
45lbs x 12reps x 3sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...