Thursday, October 12, 2017

Better Than You Think

I stayed home yesterday, expecting to get some work done at my computer. Instead, my hubs came home early and brought me a yummy roast beef sandwich from an award-winning sandwich shop. It was his peace offering for being an ass the night before. He's one of those guys who can't bring himself to apologize for anything. I think it's a "guy of a certain generation" thing. Only I'm teaching my son that it's okay to say Sorry. That apologizing doesn't make you less of a guy. It makes you a fallible human being.

I don't think that younger men have this issue, having been raised in an era where it's normal for women to have jobs, drive cars and be astronauts if that's what they want. Older guys are having a harder time of it. I see this especially at the gym, where old newbies stare like they've never seen women before. Seriously. There was one today. And it wasn't as if I was the only woman in the gym either. But maybe I'm the only one pushing some weight around, and not just hopped up on cardio, although I did my fair share of that before I hit the weights...

I didn't really have a plan for today, but I needed to choose footwear before I left the house so I had to decide whether I was going to do a Pull Day or not. Because I need to wear my old Asics for better foot support for RDLs. Otherwise, if I'm doing a Push Day or a Cardio Day, I'm in squishy, less structured shoes like the Rykas. Because those are easier on my feet, but definitely not good for RDLs. Decide to baby my feet today and put the Rykas on. Of course, after 35 min on the cross-trainer, I'm feeling much better and see that the Smith is free. So it's a Push Day. I would've been just as happy doing a Cardio Day though...

I did order a new pair of Saucony's from Zappos, because they carry wide-size brands, and have free shipping and returns. Plus prices are fairly decent. After winnowing down selections, I pick the highly rated Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2 in black, size 6.5 2E. And then realize that I actually own this pair of shoes already. I use it to go hiking because it's one of the few leather shoes that has enough room in the toe box for my bunion and hammertoes. There's almost too much room so it's not good for Whacking the Machine Day. And oddly, my heels fit fine in these shoes even though I remember them being too loose originally. Can your heels get fat as you age? I have bony little fingers and bony little toes so I don't think I'm getting fat feet...

I order the 2nd pair anyway, because shoe companies tend to "improve" their wares, usually making the shoes narrower and stiffer. That's what happened to my beloved Asics. I can't wear that brand anymore. So before Saucony changes anything, I figure I'd invest in a second pair of a shoe I know actually fits me. For now. Because feet change too. My old Kean lace-ups used to be comfortable. Now they feel too stiff, and pinch my pinky toes if I wear them too long. Ugh... But got to baby the feet 'cuz nothing is more debilitating than having painful feet!

I knock out my BB and DB exercises without any issues. Then I pause to consider whether I'm doing Rip Skulls or V-bar press downs. There's no one at the Cable Station. And coincidentally, the V-bar is in place, and the weight stack is set to 40lbs. Weird. Or sad. Because I didn't see any women at this station, so I'm probably working the same weight as the last guy here... Oh well. It was probably that old guy who couldn't keep his eyeballs to himself. Whatever... 

Thursday

35 xtrainer
Calories 168
Miles 4.64
Average Heart Rate 151

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
60 x 25
50 x 25

BB Front Raises s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/15reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

V-bar Press Down
40lbs x 13reps x 3 sets


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I don't know how you can put up with all the gym creeps! Makes me glad we have our set up at home! (fyi I posted a reply to your comment. I'm actually fine.)

    I overdid it Tuesday after two weeks off from lifting. It was leg day, and I'm still suffering DOMS.

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...