Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween is For Pushing

I feel like I look tiny here
An unnamed nor'easter took out a lot of trees and with that, power lines up in my neck of the woods. We didn't suffer any damage, but a friend had a tree fall across her parking area, taking out both her old minivan and her husband's brand new sedan. Our 20-year old generator kept our essentials running so we had water, heat, the fridge and a single light in the kitchen. Because we use a propane stove, we could also cook. Most of the houses on our road are totally dependent on electric, which is just crazy. Unless you also have a generator, like we do. But it also means no phones, no internet, no tv, no computers, no washer and dryers. There was also no school because downed trees had blocked major roadways. My hubs went to work and said all the roads to the highway were just fine. But as of this morning, several thousand residents are still without power in Putnam County. We got power back yesterday afternoon, although it blipped again in the evening. Just as well... it was time for bed anyway. I'm so glad that our smart phones keep time automatically as long as they're charged.

This is more like it!
My son went to school in his Halloween costume. I went to the gym, in holiday-appropriate clothes. There's no such thing, really, as Halloween workout clothes, so I grabbed my cotton skull tank from the Evolution store (online and in NYC), and a pair of orange skull pajama pants I got at Kmart some years ago. Ah yes, now who's wearing creepy pajama pants, right? I also pack clean clothes to change into later: striped XL girls leggings (also from Kmart) with matching half gloves, and a long sleeve spider web tank from Old Navy. Yup, that's the extent of my holiday costume these days.

At the gym, I note a few fun ladies who are wearing festive head wear: a tiny glittery witches hat, and a pair of large red horns. The big old WW2 vet (I don't know that he is or isn't) is wearing a T-shirt with cartoon ghouls and candy corn on the front. Well, at least some of us remember what day it is. I'm happy that I'm able to get on my favorite cross-trainer, and do my 30 minutes plus 5 minute cool-down. But I never use it to cool down. After push ups and pull ups, I see the Smith is empty. And whoever used it last is an idiot in re-racking plates. 5 lb plates behind 45s all haphazardly tossed onto the rungs. I guess as long as the plates aren't on the ground, it's considered good? Ugh.

I do a bunch of Smith Inclined Presses. There's a tiny bit of twinging in the right shoulder. Serves me right for not really warming up. I'm happy to do sets at a slightly higher weight than usual. And then finish with high-rep sets. The BB Front Raise also causes my right shoulder to twinge slightly. Ugh. I still add 5 lbs to the solid BB. Upright Rows don't seem to bother me at this light weight so I'll keep them in the routine for now. The DB area is empty so I head over there to do my DB Lateral superset with Reverse Inclined Flyes. And as soon as I set up on an Inclined Bench, I'm surrounded by guys. The Mayor, Little R, the middle-age guy who kept trying to catch my eye a few weeks ago, a younger tatted guy I see all the time, and at the very end of the line, a skinny late-30s woman doing multiple movements with plastic orange DBs. WTF? Is everyone doing a Push Day today?

A woman said I was cute.
Not sure if that's good.
It's hard not to trip over everyone. Ugh. When I'm finally done with my 3 supersets, I move my gear over to the breaker bench behind the Smith. The Mayor is on the Decline Bench across the way. I think Little R is done and might be on the machines. Hooded tat dude is doing cables. And the big middle-age guy has disappeared. I think I did V-bar press downs last time, so today is Rip Skulls. Then I see The Mayor place a plate on the Seated Press Machine directly in front of the bench I'm on. I'm surprised. He just did flat benching (I saw him spotting Little R earlier), then declined benching. Now he's doing machine presses? WTF? Perhaps I frown because then he walks away, and Maroon adjusts the plates and uses the machine for a few sets. That was weird.

I finish with a Mat stretch because it's been 3 days and I'm kind of stiff. The gym scale is not kind today and tells me 113.0 lbs! Ugh! Too much salt in my diet: mac and cheese and bratwurst yesterday. I did make a lovely turkey chili on Saturday with a packet of spice mix I found in my cupboard. I was worried, but the mix retained decent flavors. I remember buying it when I lived in Brooklyn NY. Still, I was surprised to see a 1984 date on the pricing label. I've lived in a few places in Brooklyn but I'm not remembering this particular store. Oh well... This was before websites were common enough to be listed on the back of packages. Now everyone has a website. I look up the brand, The Spice Hunter, and am pleased to see that not only do they still exist, but they sell their spice mix online and in stores like Walmart. Of course, Amazon is out of stock, but there's a chance my local grocery chain carries it. I've just never looked before.

Tuesday Halloween

35 xtrainer
Calories 169
Miles 4.65
Average Heart Rate 158

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 13
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 8 x 3
60 x 25
50 x 25

BB Front Raises s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/15 reps
25lbs x 15/15 reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps
45 x 12 x 2 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...