Monday, October 16, 2017

Doofus Alert

It took me at least an hour on my son's laptop this morning to get all the records updated for this past weekend's Boy Scout Thunderbird Games. Not every Scout camped overnight. Not every Scout participated in manning the Bridge of Doom, which credits a boy with Service Hours. And not every Scout received the same 7.5 hours of Service Credit because some boys came later, and some left early. Both my son and my hubs forgot their sleeping bags. Luckily it was so warm that sleeping in their clothes with a light fleece blanket was enough coverage inside their tents. Tonight there's a frost alert! Temps are suppose to climb back up into the 70s by the end of the week. We live in interesting times, as the old Chinese curse goes.

I get to the gym by mid-morning. My hubs left at 4 am to catch a 6:20 flight to Dallas. He won't be back until Friday if all goes well. So it's just me, my son and the dog. I'm really tired, but napping is not in the schedule. Instead, I leave my plans for after 35 minutes of cardio, when I'm thinking more clearly. Gym Owner says he's got the service guy scheduled to look at the cross-trainer. Because I think we can all hear it grinding. I knock out my hammer grip pull ups afterwards, and realize that I could probably do more than 26. But I'm not motivated. Oh well...

Push ups are fine. I see that the Smith is open, and I'm eager to use it now that it's been serviced. But only for Inclined Presses. No need to wreck the shoulder with flat benching today. The week is still young! It's late enough in the morning that the gym is fairly empty. Except for a few old guys who come mostly every day. One guy is newer. He's middle-aged but doesn't look quite as old as the others. I don't really care who works out as long as they're not idiots. And today, this guy is a doofus. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who works out directly in front of a weight rack so that absolutely no one else can use any of the stacked equipment there, is a doofus.

The moron doesn't even have the excuse that he's plugged in and thus oblivious. Nope. He's standing with his back inches to the rack, with a 50 lbs barbell in his hands, doing wrist curls. This is almost as bad as the idiots who bring the barbells over to the stretch mats to curl. (Why the hell do you need to stand on a 2" mat to curl? Wouldn't you prefer to have stable, solid ground under your feet?) At first I'm nice, and wait a minute. But he's grinning to himself like an idiot and he's not wearing earbuds. I'm holding a 20 lb BB which I want to re-rack so I can do something else.

I have to fight the urge to say "Yo, Doofus, move your newbie ass away from the goddamn rack. What the hell? You think you're the only one using barbells?" I don't, but it's running through my head. Lifting weights naturally requires a certain amount of internal aggression, but I try to be civil. Finally, I get impatient, and after speaking in a normal tone, I actually yell a loud "Excuse me" to get him to move forward. I might've been cursing under my breath too. I have my headphones on, but I can still hear myself. Between him and LoudMouth and Big Mustache, there's a posse of old guys who I'd rather worked out at a different corner of the gym. Big Mustache tends to stare a lot and I don't know why because he's been at the gym long enough to know better. LoudMouth desperately needs someone to tell him to use a hearing aid. Even at the gym. The only one missing is The Mayor.

There's only two other women here. One I see quite regularly, and she's making great progress shaping herself. Today I'm wearing an old tank so it affords more coverage than most of my gym gear. I used to wear it all the time when I first started here, but it fits me differently now. It used to feel bigger, and since I don't think it shrank, it must be me that got bigger. I'm tempted to up my weight on the DB Laterals and Reverse Inclined Flyes. Today, I only up the weight on the Barbell Front Raises and Upright Rows. I even keep Rip Skulls the same weight even though I still had the 5 lbs of magnetic discs. Maybe next time....

On the way home, my car dashboard suddenly lights up with Check Engine, Disabled Stability and Cruise control flashing. WTH? The manual is absolutely no help because all it says is go to the nearest Subaru dealership for service. Yeah, right. I cancel my son's doc appointment this afternoon because I have no idea if this is serious or not. It's distracting as all hell though. I make an appointment with my local repair shop and look online. It could be anything from a software update (seriously?!) to a faulty gas cap, to a bad gas sensor, to a bad brake sensor. Ugh...

I'm still packing my gym bag so if I get the chance, I'll go work out after the repair shop fixes whatever the heck is wrong with this car. It's a 2010, but I've barely put 15,000 miles on it in two years. Because I really don't like to drive much... but I want to be safe when I do. Is my age showing?

Monday

35 xtrainer
Calories 168
Miles 4.62
Average Heart Rate 150

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12 x 3

BB Front Raises s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/15reps
25lbs x 15/15 x 2 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

1 comment:

  1. Did they figure out what was wrong with the car? DH had something similar with his Civic once, and it was a bad gas cap. Luckily, our old repair shop is honest, and plugged in their diagnostic machine and figured out the error quickly, and at no charge.

    I'm gonna be in the DFW metromess Wednesday myself, seeing my favorite Orthopedic doc. Knee and the main tendon on the top of my right foot are both bothering me more than they should...

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...