Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Wipe Exhaustion With Cardio

My hubs had to be at the NYC Federal Courthouse at 8:30 this morning for Federal Jury Duty (ugh!) so I drove him to the train station. At 5:15 am. Because driving to NYC sucks, and parking is worse. (Local jury duty would've just been the next town over.) Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. Especially since I'm a light sleeper, so my hubs suddenly snoring at 2:30 kept me awake for a while. Plus, we've been staying up late streaming past seasons of the BBC's infamous The Great British Bake Off, with the original cast of Grand Dame Mary Berry, master bread guy Paul Hollywood, and comedic hosts Mel and Suzy. Last season, the show got bought by UK's Channel 4, but all the ladies (Mary, Mel and Suzy) stayed loyal to the BBC. Neither my hubs nor I think this latest season (currently Season 8) bodes well for longevity, especially since we don't like the new co-hosts, and everyone agrees that Hollywood is not a reason to watch the show.

I get to the gym mid-morning but I'm not at all enthused to do a Pull Day. That requires more concentration than I think I can muster. Yep, it's a Cardio Day. When in doubt, do cardio! It's great for clearing fog out of the brain, making the body limber, and eventually leads to a sense of alertness. I know I'm not in for great mileage, but I do manage over 7 miles so I feel pretty good about that. Other than the basics like pull ups, push ups and core stuff, the Cardio routine, is well, routine. But I feel much better now. I don't know if I have to drive my hubs tomorrow morning though. Guess I'll find out when I pick him up this evening from the train...

When I get home, I decide to sample the Marmite we bought at the UK Brit Store in Connecticut a few days ago. I've always been curious about what it tastes like, and hearing the Men at Work song Down Under on the radio lately has made me brave enough to actually purchase a jar.



My son absolutely refused to even taste a tiny bit of it. He's been prejudiced by YouTube videos telling him that it tastes and smells like sewage. Oh jeeze... It doesn't. It IS really salty though. It actually tastes a lot like soy. There's a very distinctive umami appeal to it, probably due to the high amount of glutamate in it. Yes, like monosodium glutamate, the ultimate flavor enhancer. One apparently eats it as a thin spread on buttered bread or crackers. I can definitely see doing that. But most likely, I'll be adding it to soups and stews (to add body and depth) in place of salt and/or soy.

Wednesday
7.39 miles

35 xtrainer
Calories 165
Miles 4.39
Average Heart Rate 142

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60
Scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Crunches 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Superman 3 x 30s

35 elliptical
Program 1
Calories 340
Miles 3.00
Average Heart Rate 139

HGPU 27


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...