Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Tank Tops and Sports Bras

Imagine this in Hot Pink
Today I'm back to wearing a tank top and sports pants. I'm also wearing one of the more complicated looking sports bras that I own: it's the hot pink one with too many straps, purchased at a steep discount because not only does the fabric still bleed magenta dye on white clothes, but you need a handler to smooth out all the twisted straps in the back. Normally I flatten out the straps and then ease the bra on over my head. But today I already have my braid clipped up, which makes it so much more difficult to lay the straps down correctly. Screw it. I'm not planning on spending any time on my back, when twisted straps might be uncomfortable, so I just toss my tank on over it.

I've been trying to time my arrival at the gym to avoid the crowded locker room scenario. So far, so good. I get to pedal on the good cross-trainer and watch regulars like PJPants, Marine and Maroon. Mostly I glance at the overhead TVs, and sometimes at my own monitor which I've tuned to Supernatural. With 12 seasons in the bag, there are at least 3 hours worth of reruns every morning. I haven't been getting enough sleep, and in the right light I can see how puffy my under eyes look. Ugh. At least I feel more energetic after cardio. I do a few pull ups and skip the Mat entirely today. No push ups, no core. If I don't grab the Smith now, I'll regret it. Especially since I'm tired and my lower back is a bit achy.

It's true: I never look happy
I'm very predictable. First Smith RDLs, then Smith RG BB Rows. Maybe Seated Cable Rows later. The tank is comfortable, but the soft cottony fabric snags on the top of my iPod, which is clipped to the back of my waistband. It's not an issue until I bend over, because the back of my tank catches against the top of the device and causes the music to stammer. Ugh. I pull the iPod off and leave it on my hoodie. I'm not sure what the bluetooth range is, but I'm not more than a few feet from it at this point. I have to clip it back on later when I move on to the Seated Cable Rows. My back actually eases up as I go heavier on the RDLs. Slow and steady. RG BB Rows were actually much better this week than last week. Not sure why though.

What's annoying me today is, again, my sports bra. I'm pulling the right side straps out of my neck after each lift. Ugh. The bra also feels tight in the arm pits, and upon close inspection, I seem to be popping out of the garment. Mind you, this is a size L and I'm about 34" around the upper rib cage. That 34" is mostly back because as a triple A, there's not much up front to worry about. This bra has been decently comfortable in the past, so maybe it's just getting worn out, or I'm more sensitive? Or I'm bigger? I'm actually a really small person, with a "big presence". Yesterday I realized, when I hugged my son goodnight, that my cheek rests comfortably on his shoulder now. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

I go slow enough during Seated One-Arm Cable Rows that I can feel the strain in my left elbow as I pull. No doubt, the twisting motion I make from palm down to neutral as I pull in toward my lat isn't helping the elbow at all. I don't have this issue with the right elbow. But it's also the left elbow that's not happy with hammer grip pull ups. Of course, neither elbow wants me to do regular pull ups or chin ups. There was a time, when I had just started working out here, that I wore straps on both my forearms because of the radiating elbow pain. And I never want to get to that point again if I can help it.

I take a little time to stretch the hammies, and then a final set of pull ups. These are really hard, and for a moment I'm worried I won't get to 26. The last 3 reps are a struggle. I do a modified Mat Stretch because I'm very happy with my music and that makes me want to dance. Stretching is better. The gym scale reads 109.8 lbs. I'm okay with that. Yesterday it read 110.8 lbs.

Tuesday

35 xtrainer
Calories 165
Miles 4.42
Average Heart Rate 141

HGPU 26

Smith RDLs
Bar x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 12
150 x 12

Smith RG BB Rows
80 x 25
100 x 25
120 x 25

Seated 1-Arm Cable Row
45lbs x 12
52.5 x 12
52.5 x 12

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...