Thursday, September 21, 2017

Push Again

I'm never going to compete but I think my shoulders are lagging. Maybe I'm just so impressed with everyone who has boulder shoulders that I'm a teensy bit envious. Part of this is genetics, of course. I have monster triceps, just like I have damn big quads. And I don't work the quads. They're just big. Hammies aren't very pronounced, but I'm leery of aggravating my sciatica so I'm cautious there. And even though I've got some shoulder issues, I'm still looking for a way to build up my delts. So today is a second Push Day. Just for fun.

Standard warm up on the elliptical. I'm not surprised that I can't quite match prior days' mileage. This is the 4th day, after all. I'm just happy I can pass the four and a half mile mark. Pull ups only go to 28 reps. My arms seem a little tired. I only do Push Ups on the Mat. Today I get to 80, but I had to pause at 70 and 75 for a breath.
Wearing boy shorts today

Those push ups wipe me out for the ensuing Smith bench press. Perhaps if I had swapped the Adjustable Inclined Bench for the smaller flat bench, I would've been more successful. The inclined bench is too wide for my shoulders to clear on the down movement. So I use it backwards, placing my head and shoulders at the narrower seat end. But there's a large gap between the seat and the body of the bench, and it's uncomfortable to lay on. I actually get my upper back caught and nearly wedged in the gap today. I wasn't even pushing heavy, but without being able to place my feet flat on the floor, I have no ability to brace myself properly. Ugh. My right shoulder feels funky. I do manage to get high reps in for the very last set. Whew.

I feel guilty and a bit weak, so I do Inclined Benching afterwards. Those feel fine. But I still go super light with the BB Front Raises super-set with Upright Rows with the same barbell. My shoulders get a bit tired by the 15th rep for Front Raises. Maybe I'll use the magnetic discs next time and up the weight just a teensy bit. The Upright Row feels okay, except for my left forearm close to the elbow. I like this combination and hope to use it to build up better delts since it's obvious that just doing DB Lateral Raises super-set with Reverse Inclined Flyes is not giving me the desired effect. I do have strong delts according to the physical therapist I saw over the summer. I'd just like them to look nicer. Okay, I'm vain.

Thursday

35 xtrainer
Calories 167
Miles 4.57
Average Heart Rate 133

HGPU 26
Push Ups 80

Smith Flat Bench light
High Bench so knees up
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 15 (Rt shoulder)
100 x 12
90 x 12
80 x 25

Smith Inclined Bench
Bar x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
60 x 25

BB Front Raise s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/12 reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...