Friday, September 22, 2017

Stamina

The Jewish High Holy Days means there's been no school for 2 days. Just as well. My son can use all the sleep he can get. I'm a tad concerned about the low-dose antibiotic he's been taking to clear up his acne. He feels fine, and his skin is loads better. But he's also dropped weight. I'm not unhappy about that, but I worry that maybe this is unhealthy. He's not underweight by any means. I might mention this at his next pediatrician appointment next month for a flu shot. I've given up on flu shots for myself for the moment, but since my son is in school — a virtual hotbed of germs — annual flu shots are a wise precaution.

I get to the gym near noon. The gym's not crowded. It never is on a beautiful Friday. I do my warm up cardio, then baby bells and pull bands. A few stretches and I'm ready! In the middle of my 8 Beginner rounds, a very tall but young fellow starts wailing on the adjacent machine. He does 2 rounds and walks away. Figures. Most people I've seen at these machines can go about 2 rounds. I'm not sure what program they're running. Probably just Sparring since there's never any kicking or sweeps. It's always a flurry of crosses and jabs. And then they're done. Burnt out. Or bored. No stamina whatsoever. That's what Conor McGregor claims was his downfall in fighting Floyd Mayweather: not enough stamina.

Stamina is actually one of the reasons I go so many rounds at the Nexersys machine. It's also why I do so much cardio. And why I do it before I lift weights. To build up stamina. It's great to be strong, and flexible. But not if you're out of breath after 15 minutes. And I'd like to deliver as strong a Cross or Jab during round 15 as I did during the first round. Of course, the machine's not hitting back. Getting punched and kicked definitely sucks energy away from you. I do 7 more rounds Intermediate level, and then I squeeze out 26 hammer grip pull ups. I remember a day when I could do more, but that seems like such a long time ago. Ugh.

I plan to hit the gym next Monday, but sadly, I have too many appointments scheduled for Tuesday. So I'm making Hay while the Sun Shines! Today is the Autumnal Equinox. It's also my mother's birthday. I don't really miss her. I suppose that makes me a bad daughter. My sister posted about missing my mother a few days ago, on my mother's death anniversary. She had a different relationship with her. Still, I find it ironic that my sister, who couldn't bear to visit my mom during the 6 months she was dramatically ill, should write about that. But of course, she was my mother's favorite child. She claims she was too emotional to offer any help. Uh, okay.

So, I have fond memories of my grandmother, and not so fond memories of my mother. And my sister has barely any memories of my grandmother, but misses my mother dearly. My father's birthday is in two days. And although I had a tempestuous relationship with him as a child and young adult, he had mellowed by the time he passed away. So I miss him. But my sister, who had stopped speaking to my dad after my mom passed, does not. Oh well. Neither of us really speaks to our brother either. I guess that's just how families are, especially dramatic Asian ones. (Have you ever watch a Korean soap opera? The melodrama is real!)

Friday

10 elliptical
Calories 94
Miles 0.83

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls x 15
High Band Pulls x 15

Nexersys Follow Me
8r Beginner
7r Intermediate

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...