Monday, September 18, 2017

Waterlogged

We went to a seafood restaurant for supper last night. Seafood is salty. Restaurant food is usually over-salted. And I'm especially sensitive to salt in my diet so this morning I'm bloated and smooth. Ugh. Oh well. I'm on the cross-trainer later than usual, but I do my 30+ minutes and score more than 4 miles. That makes me feel a little better about myself. Pull ups are hard again. Push ups, not so much. I knock out 60 and realize I could probably go for 80, but I'm saving myself. Not for flat benching, but for Inclined Presses on the Smith.

My right leg doesn't feel quite so funky today. It's not quite right though. I just want to get through my workout without any new injuries, or aggravating all the old ones. I get through both high-rep sets without much trouble, which tells me I could've gone heavier with those. Next time. I'm conflicted about doing Flyes so I don't do them most of the time. There's the elbow issue (weakest link) which limits how much weight I can use. There's the labral tear, which limits weight and range of motion. And since I have to go light, I'm not sure there's much benefit to doing the movement at all. Not that I haven't tried to go heavier. But I don't think it's worth it.

I try something new today: front barbell raises with a super light solid barbell. There's just enough weight on this to make me feel not completely silly. My arms stay naturally bent at the elbows as I raise my arms directly in front with the barbell. I could also do this with a pair of DBs. After 3 sets of 12, I know I can up the weight next time. I just don't know by how much. Should I jump to the 30 lb BB? use a pair of 15 lb DBs? Or grab some incremental magnetic discs? It's hard to know. I grab an Inclined Bench in the DB area and put a pair of 25s next to it. I always do the DB Lateral Raises first. And always with 20 lb DBs. There's a new woman working out. She's doing a lot of DB combo movements, and I don't really care, except she's planted herself right in front of the DB rack. And not just in front of the DB rack, but right where the gap is for the DBs I'm currently using. Seriously? Stupid newbie. Am I being harsh? Well, it's not like I said anything to her.

Worse, The Mayor is super-setting so he's running between the Squat rack, where he's doing curls (ugh!), and a preacher bench several yards away. Since he wears an oversize polo shirt like a potato sack dress, I've actually never seen whether he has biceps or not. The sleeves of his shirt come to his elbows. But there's no hiding the monster gut that plagues most middle-age men. Big Glasses Dude is benching today. Oh, that's right. Monday is International Bench Press Day! Kidding...

I feel pretty bulky today. As in big. And mean. I'm still a tiny bit sore from Friday, but it's mostly in my chest and upper back. And nothing I can actually call painful. Just gentle reminders that I did indeed workout but a few days ago. Which means I'm constantly stretching and flexing the stiffness out of my arms, shoulders and hands between sets. I'm sure in the right light it might look impressive. Or silly. I see that the cable press down station is vacant, but I can't find the V-bar. The gimpy lady ex-cop comes over and I think she's just putting her handles away, but instead she offers me... the V-bar I've been looking for. Great! I thank her loudly because we both have headphones on.

Ugh. Creepy PJ Pants an unexpected presence at this late hour. The Mayor is chatting (of course) with gym staff just a few feet from me. Ugh. I like the V-bar press down for isolating the triceps. It also works a bunch of other muscles and can't compare to Rip Skulls. But some days I'm just not in the mood to wrestle with this bluetooth horse collar rolling up into my jaw with every rep. I skip the 2nd set of pull ups because I plan to do that tomorrow. Instead, I stretch a bit on the Mat, and make sure that I do a few piriformis stretches.

Monday

35 xtrainer
Calories 169
Miles 4.67
Average Heart Rate 153

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60

Smith Inclined Bench
Bar (30lbs) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 13
80 x 13
60 x 25
50 x 30 (too easy?!)

Front BB Raises
20lbs x 12reps x 3sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Cable V-bar press down
30 lbs x 15reps
40 x 12 x 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...