Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Ignore Yourself

No one in my household got enough sleep last night. Well, maybe the dog. Coming off a long weekend, and summer vacation meant that we had to adjust to a much earlier morning. It didn't help that it was still raining from last night. The school bus was 10 minutes late. Which was better than the returning bus which kept me waiting on our road for over 30 minutes. It's the first day of school, and the district decided to implement a new transportation system. Lots of kids weren't on any list for buses to and from school, which meant a lot of last-minute rescheduling. Ah, bureaucracy.

I decided to sandwich my gym time between errands so I got there late morning. Which meant I got to use the cross-trainer for 35 minutes. My mileage is comparable to yesterday which surprises me. I woke up sore and tired. So tired that I'm already making excuses for why I'm not doing a Pull Day today. All those excuses dissipate once I'm done with my warm up. Something about pedaling furiously for 35 minutes lightens the mood, erases fatigue and makes almost anything possible. It's why I do cardio first, against all recommendations to save cardio for after heavy lifting. I need to be warm and limber when I lift. Cardio does that for me the way no measly 12-rep set can. I don't understand people who walk into the gym and jump right into heavy sets. Just like I don't understand people who do vigorous stretching beforehand.

I only do a set of pull ups and push ups before heading to the vacant Smith machine. There's a couple on the adjacent MaxRack. I think I've seen them before, once last year. They're thin and wiry like European tourists. His hair is grey and wild for a middle-age man. She's much smaller, but appears very toned. He's constantly trying to talk her into doing exercises that he's just done, but of course, he must remove the plates before she can have her turn. The Mayor is benching behind us and occasionally says a few words to the woman. He's turned down the volume today, and that's a pleasant surprise. However, I still avoid being in the same space with him. Because he makes me uneasy in that creepy guy way. Not as bad as PJ Pants or Frankenstein, but creepy enough.

I breathe slowly and deeply in order to keep my form from deteriorating during the heavy sets. Even though the air conditioning is on, the air is very humid. Everyone is sweating. I blot my face and neck with my hoodie which I've balled up on the bench I'm sitting on between sets. The problem with bluetooth headsets is that there's always a charging port with a gasket flap that never seals properly. Sweat is a killer of all things electrical. I've wiped my fair share of iPods because I had them clipped to my tank strap in front. (Have I mentioned that I sweat like I've been tossed into the pool?) Now I keep the music attached to my back waistband. But the headsets pose the same problems with sweat, especially the charging port. If I remember to blot myself, I can prevent sweat from trickling into the bluetooth collar. I'm already intrigued by the truly wireless bluetooth ear buds on the market, but I'm going to wait until they get cheaper.

After the RG BB Rows, which were surprisingly not too bad today, I finish with Seated One-Arm Cable Rows. I'm going to skip the second set of pull ups because I suspect the cable rows mess with my elbows and forearm tendons too much. Between sets, I see a gal sitting diagonally across from me at the pull down station. I notice her because of her crazy hair, which looks like white yarn piled up over fuzzy dark roots. She does sets of regular pull downs at first. Later, she does an odd variation where she's gripping the wide bar handles, but only pulls down on one side at a time. I'm not sure what that's suppose to do, but I suppose it does something.

I do most of my Mat stretch, and then off to shower. I don't feel tired at all anymore.

Wednesday

35 xtrainer
Calories 165
Miles 4.45
Average Heart Rate 150

HGPU 26
Push Ups 50

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 12
150 x 12

Smith RG BB Rows
80lbs x 25 reps
100 x 25
120 x 25

Seated 1Arm Cable Row
45lbs x 12 reps
52.5 x 12 x 2






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...