Thursday, May 18, 2017

That Little Voice in Your Head

I retrieved two fans from the garage and cleaned the dust off before plugging them in. The house is well insulated, but still... I spend the morning sorting through summer clothes, especially shorts. It's hard for me to part with stuff I know I'll never find again, even if they don't fit anymore. I worry that I'll get fatter and have no clothes to wear. I hate being part of the consumer society, but at some point you have to nip the urge to save everything, lest you become a hoarder and wind up on some train wreck cable TV show. I toss several pairs of shorts and pants into the garbage bag I've slated for charity. There's probably more clothes I can get rid of, but I don't want to spend all day doing this. 

I pull out a pair of bright fuschia Nike shorts that I literally don't recognize. When did I buy these? I try them on and they are, remarkably, the best shorts. They fit without being too tight in the waist or the butt, and the leg holes don't gape. Nor is there a clingy liner pant which invariably rides up my big thighs as I pedal. I match it to a hot pink Spalding sports bra I bought on clearance. It's comfortable, but the myriad of back straps always twist and look messy. No wonder this was in the clearance rack. It's truly a pain to wear. If I was really anal, I could stitch the straps down to keep them from rolling under each other. But my OCD isn't THAT bad. I toss a purple tank on over it. These things are so billowy, I look pregnant half the time. I don't really care though.

The little voice in my head is constantly trying to get me to cut back on my cardio time. I could get by with just 15 minutes on the cross-trainer. Except that since I'm not planning to push any heavy weights today, I really shouldn't. The same little voice tries to talk me out of hammer grip pull ups as well. Today I only get 20 instead of 26 so I'm disappointed. No knee-ins while I'm wearing shorts. But I do manage push ups and crunches. I'm not in the mood for planks so I skip them. The Mayor is sporadically at the Smith. I'm not even going to bother. But I am concerned about shoulders so I do my DB lateral superset. However, I don't do the T, Y & I Shoulder Warm Ups. Because I'm wearing shorts and there are too many guys in the DB area. Normally I wear long pants, and normally I don't care, but 90 degrees in May isn't normal.

Back to the Cardio Platform. Time to do Intervals. Part of me wants to just do 20 minutes. I'm actually tired today, and a bit sore. I tap in 30 minutes and tell myself that I can just quit at 20 if it comes down to that. If I truly can't go on for another 10 minutes. Which is ridiculous. But what I do is go to 26 minutes and spend 4 minutes in a "cool down" mode. Not quite as intense as doing a full 30 minutes of 1 minute full throttle, 1 minute moderately fast and 2 minutes of jogging. The Mayor has joined a chat buddy on the treadmills. I don't understand what people have to say all the time. I stretch and then position myself for Wide Hammer Grip Pull Ups. I get 15 and I'm happy even though this is making my forearms a bit sore. My left wrist has felt strained all day, like I might be developing carpal tunnel. Which is ridiculous. Tomorrow is another scorcher of a day. I think I'll do a Left Overs workout, with maybe two big moves. If I can get on the Smith.

Thursday
6.49 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 141
Miles 3.75
Average Heart Rate 154

HGPU 20
Push Ups 50
Crunches 3 x 50

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 2
20/25 x 15/20reps

30 min elliptical (includes 4 min cool down)
Intervals
Calories 315
Miles 2.74
Average Heart Rate 147

Wide HGPU 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...