Friday, May 5, 2017

Freakin' Friday

It is downright nasty today, pouring cats, dogs and the occasional frog with an unseasonable chill at 54°F. I'm tired and I don't really want to go to the gym. It's easy to procrastinate when there's dishes, laundry, and oh yeah, let's reboot the firestick a few times and see if I can't get the kodi to work. Well, I'm partially successful and wind up watching an episode of Supernatural while packing my gym bag.

I do luck out and manage to get on my favorite stations without too much fuss. Probably because the weather sucks and it's Friday, and oh yeah, it's also Cinquo de Mayo. I'm dragging my butt on the cross-trainer and I'm just happy to make it past the 3.5 mile marker. The guy who stares at his phone for 20 minutes while at the Stretch Cage wanders into it while I have 7 minutes to go. I don't even bother to stop off there, figuring he's going to be another 15. So I'm surprised to see him hop off and actually do a few exercises. Maybe he took his vitamins today? I see that the Smith is free and because I don't want to miss my opportunity, I skip push ups, crunches and planks. Today is my day to make up for having a crappy RDL session at the MaxRack.

I'm really happy with the Smith RDLs. I've started making little notes next to my sets. Unfortunately, my ancient desktop at home isn't very happy processing the mail when it arrives with emojis. It's almost as cumbersome as sending full resolution images! As long as my computer holds it together for my two photo shows, I'm good. Fingers crossed! Satisfied with the RDLs, I drag the bench back into the space and do some Inclined Presses. This time I actually get 25 reps at 60 lbs. It's a bit pathetic considering I used to do that with 95 lbs on a flat bench. Oh well... I also used to be younger. I skipped delt work because I figure whacking the machine counts towards that. But in the same vein, it should also count toward tricep work. But I don't skip that.

I see Towel Guy, but he doesn't have a trainer today. Later, I hear him greet another old guy who asks him about his grand kids. "Jeeze," I think, "he must be old." But then I realize that in 3 years I'll be the age my grandmother was when I was born. And my mom was no Spring chicken herself when she had me. Of course, there's a huge difference between having a kid at 29 (my grandmother), 31 (my mom) and 44. It's probably not all that strange that I relate better to women in their late 30s and 40s because their kids are the same age as my son, instead of people in their 50s and 60s who have grown kids. Unless they're super cool 50 and 60 year olds. Which I fully intend to be.

I do a few sets of Rip Skulls before my 2nd set of cardio. I can hear The Mayor but that's peculiar because he doesn't usually show up on Fridays. Even more peculiar is that he's on a reclining bike. Not so peculiar is that he's chatting non-stop. Later, he's walking the treadmill with the same chat buddy. Perhaps he's decided to invest in a cardio day. God knows he really needs it. Seriously.

I've only seen two gym members here who have made dramatic transformations, and manage to maintain them. One is an old guy who might've had bariatric surgery to drop over a 100 lbs. I see him occasionally on the treadmill or elliptical. The other is a woman I nicknamed Rough Trade a few years ago. I almost didn't recognize her since she's dropped maybe 30 lbs. She looks younger now, walking and running on the treadmill. Sometimes she skips backwards. Most people, mostly women,  who lose weight and start to look really good, suffer a crisis of some sort, and then regain all their weight and then some.

I know my weight can teeter precariously close to being uncomfortable, but never anywhere near what I weighed when I first joined the gym. But that's because I've got OCD and weight myself several times a week if possible. Vigilance is important. I don't weigh my food or restrict myself to crazy fads, but I am conscious of the things I'm ingesting. So yes, I'm going to have hard cider and maybe a shandy. I won't turn down ice cream for dessert either. But I don't do it every day.

I change my mind twice about whether I'm actually going to do Intervals again this week. Finally I decide to bite the bullet. Five minutes into the program, my stomach growls at me because I'm suddenly starving. Of course. But I ignore that and keep going. So my total mileage isn't great, but I'm happy that I survived, and not too shabbily. Afterwards, I do a set of pull ups for fun, then a quick Mat Stretch. I even toss in a few crunches just so my abs won't feel neglected. The gym scale tells me 109.4 lbs today. I'm good with that. I'd still rather be 107 lbs (because my pants would fit better), but I'm sure that's coming if I can maintain some discipline. It's only 2 freaking pounds! But it IS Friday.

Friday
6.47 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 142
Miles 3.79
Average Heart Rate 147

Knee-Ins 50

Smith RDLs
Bar (30 lbs) x 12
(right hand outside blade seems sore)
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 8 get closer to the bar! 😤
150 x 8

Smith Inclined Bench 30°
Bar (30) x 15 front right shoulder
50 x 15 no pain!
70 x 12 right delt fatigue?
80 x 12
60 x 25 Yaay!

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12 x 3

30 min elliptical
Intervals (2nd day! 😮)
Calories 306
Miles 2.68

HGPU 26
Crunches 2 x 50

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...