Thursday, May 11, 2017

Not Staggering Like a Drunk

I'm not sure if it's because I didn't have a beer last night after supper, or if I'd forgotten to take the gabapentin but I kept waking up every few hours. And it wasn't a groggy awake, but a crisp "I'm alert" kind of awake. It's a bit startling. I've come to enjoy the deep dreamless sleep of the past few weeks even though I feel as if it's never enough. But I think I prefer being able to think better than being able to sleep. Maybe I'll just have an apple ale tonight and see where that takes me without medication. I'm fairly certain I'm recovered from the bout of shingles. The shoulder is a bit sore most mornings but I suspect that has more to do with my mattress and how I sleep than my injury.

This morning my left elbow is what's complaining. Maybe it was the second set of pull ups yesterday? Tomorrow I might brave getting my hands further apart and seeing if I'm able to pull myself up at all. It's entirely possible that it'll just be a distance too great to surmount since the bars are a set width apart, and I'm a small person with tiny hands. The gym's not crowded because it's actually nice out if a bit chilly. Again, I'm wearing my down winter coat to walk the dog this morning because 37°F is too cold for just a hoodie. But I only wear a hoodie to the gym because I don't plan to spend much time outside if I can help it.

After 10 minutes on the elliptical, I do my T, Y and I baby bell warm up raises. Then back to the other side of the gym. I'm going to stick with the Right machine, the one with the broken Cross pad, because it at least has my profile and I can log into it. The other machine refuses to let me create a reasonable profile, which is vexing because I'm not Male or a SouthPaw or 25 years old. I can use the QuickStart, but the fact that both the Cross and Jab don't register is more than annoying, especially since I'm moving past the Beginner Level today. Yes, I initially planned to just do 2 Levels for a total of 10 rounds because I don't want to wreck my shoulders. But I'm just warmed up after 5 rounds of Beginner. 5 Rounds of Intermediate and I'm a bit sweaty. I like my workouts to be more demanding, so as much as I think about walking away, I can't resist the urge to program 5 more rounds at the Advance Level.

5 rounds from left to right: Beginner, Intermediate, Advance

The machine is truly broken, and some of the rounds are complete chaos. The screen blanks periodically and the avatar reappears lit in unexpected places. It's all good. I get to whack, punch, jab, kick and knee the machine. I get to toss combinations until I'm breathless and drenched. At the end of round 1, the bottom of my lungs hurt. HIIT cardio! But the pain dissipates quickly and I'm ready for round 2. By round 4, I'm no longer feeling breathless. I am a bit tired though. But I don't like to end the session half-ass, like I've run out of juice. Because, honestly, I haven't. Is it pride that has me finish the last round with as much energy, speed and intensity as if it was my first round? Does it matter as long as I'm not being reckless? After I unwrap my hands, I give a thought to doing some pull ups, but I'm running short on time so I figure I'll save my elbows for tomorrow, when the plan is to do cardio and body weight stuff. Just for fun. And maybe some Intervals too.


The local news is reporting chances are good for a nor'easter to hit us this weekend. My son is thrilled because he really doesn't want to go rock-climbing with the Scouts on Saturday. We both agree that Sunday is a good time to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 since we're such fans of the first movie. And my hubs tells me that he won't have to fly to Houston until Monday, once he gets back tomorrow. Yaaay!

Thursday

10 min elliptical
Calories 95.3
Miles 0.85

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Nexersys Follow Me
5r Beginner
5r Intermediate
5r Advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...