Monday, May 22, 2017

Too Soon To Tell

I've cut back my cardio by nearly half so now I'm averaging about three and a half miles instead of over six miles. It saves me 25 minutes, and I'm hoping to feel not quite so exhausted by the end of the day. I take do take vitamins, especially since I don't believe I can actually eat enough real food to absorb the recommended amounts someone like me needs. It's nearly impossible unless you eat heaping portions of things, and I'm inclined to eat less, not more as the days grow longer. Longer, and oddly, chillier. Temps are hovering in the low 60s now, but that hasn't kept the pesky blood-suckers from nipping me and raising red itchy welts. Ugh. Spring is here. Of course, I've been bitten on hard to scratch pulse points, like my inside wrist, elbow and throat. Double ugh.

After 15 minutes on the cross-trainer, I grab myself up and knock out 28 shoulder-width hammer grip pull ups. I'm happy with that. Then knee-ins, and a good core warm up: crunches, push ups and planks. While I'm on the mat, I see a big guy stride over to the Smith to do some seated OHP. I hope he doesn't stay there for too long. Just as I'm about to set up on one of the Breaker benches, he leaves the Smith. Yessss! But there aren't any flat benches free, so I'm stuck with the larger adjustable inclined bench. I'm not comfortable pushing heavy when my feet aren't flat on the floor, so today it's another high rep routine. Inclined Presses are okay.

I see a couple at the MaxRack. At first I think it's high schoolers because they're fairly slender, but when I look closely, I see that they're both probably my age. He has blonde, grayish white hair. She's tinier and more flat chested than I am, with short brown hair. Her face has soft faint wrinkles so maybe she's in her late 40s or early 50s? It's hard to tell. She's also wearing those silly toe shoes that simulate being barefoot. They're both wearing extremely fitted long sleeve shirts and leggings that remind me of frogmen, or swimmers. I don't actually see her do much. Most of the time is spent with him setting up benches, boxes, bars and coaxing her to do a movement. Box squats? I hear her plaintive whine although I can't quite make out what she's saying.

I move to the DB area where there's a couple of high school guys. After the first super set, the joints finally feel "warmed up" and the next two sets go quick. And with extra reps. Yaaay me. Last are Rip Skulls. Because my triceps aren't huge enough. Kidding. Then I do 20 minutes on the elliptical. I'm running late, but I still have time to try the wide grip hammer pull ups. Today I get to 20 and I'm thrilled. Yesssss! A quick stretch to forestall knotty shoulders, and then a shower. Done! The gym scale reads 110.4 lbs, which is actually pretty good coming off a weekend where I did almost nothing except mat and frame photographs. Whew!

Monday 
3.63 miles

15 min x-trainer
Calories 71
Miles 1.86

HGPU 28
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Smith Flat Bench (high bench)
Bar(30) x 15
80lbs x 25 reps x 3 (6,000 lbs)

Smith Inclined Press
Bar x 15
50 x 15
70 x 12
80 x 12

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps
20/25lbs x 15/20reps x 2

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

20 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 203
Miles 1.77

Wide HGPU 20 Yaaay Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...