Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Hotter Than The Sun

Temperatures rose from 47°F to 92 in a matter of hours today. Not unusual if this were the Mojave Desert. But this is New York and temps aren't usually so extreme. It'll be a scorcher tomorrow as well, and then we'll resume normal temps closer to 60 for the weekend. 60 is preferable to 90, especially when I have work to do in my un-insulated, un-air-conditioned garage/studio space. I don't want to sweat because I run the risk of dripping onto my prints. Can't run a fan with photos all over the place. Ugh. I need Goldilocks weather!

The gym has the back door open when I arrive. But it's still reasonable outside. After warm ups, I start whacking the machine. Doors are shut. The air conditioning kicks on, but it's not cold enough. I'm actually sweaty by the end of the Beginner rounds. And positively dripping by the last Advance rounds. It's still a good workout even if I feel a little out of shape. I shouldn't be quite so breathless, not that I'm gasping doubled over or anything even vaguely dramatic like that. I see Marine on the Espresso bike. He looks a lot less like Whil Wheaton now that he's shaved his beard off.

Several guys use the CF area to my right. One is particularly noisy when he drops his fully loaded bar onto the mat. So noisy that the lady on the Espresso bike adjacent to my kickboxing machine tells the fellow he's too loud. He's making her jump off her bike every time he finishes his one-rep set. Normally I'd look at the complainer askance. But this time she's absolutely correct. It's as if he's throwing his bar. The mirrored wall has a lot of cracks from where folks have lost their grip on the kettlebells. Or maybe they're just throwing their bars? If you can't control your weights, maybe you should use lighter weights. Some people are just jerks at my gym.


After I strip off all my hand protection, I do a quick hamstring stretch at the Cage. Ever since my bout with shingles last month, the back of my knees have been off. There's a weird soreness, verging on a cramp at the bottom of the hammie. It's disconcerting, and seems to be a residual effect of the viral flare-up. I hope it eventually subsides. I'm debating whether to do pull ups or not. Still not brave enough to attempt regular grip pull ups at the edge of the Cage, but I can do a few wide grips. Because all the strike motions seem to focus on pushing (delts and triceps), I'm fairly confident that I can get a decent set. Pull ups and chin ups still rely on pulling, biceps and back, and those haven't been horribly taxed today. When I get to 12, I realize that I can probably do more. Not a lot more, but more than 12. I get to 15 and I'm really happy. Maybe I'll just do cardio tomorrow, and make up for that interrupted Interval set. Or should I just keep to 20 minutes? I haven't decided yet.

Wednesday

10 min elliptical
Calories 89
Miles 0.81

T, Y & I raised
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Nexersys
5r Beginner
5r Intermediate
5r Advance

Wide HGPU 15 Yaaay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...