Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Some Days It's Best To Stay Home

I woke up yesterday and my head swam all dizzy like I'd been deep asleep and hadn't had my fill of REM. Normally that dissipates once I've had coffee, but yesterday it didn't. At first I suspect a weird gabapentin reaction, but that's highly unlikely. I'm only taking one 300 mg capsule around 10 pm with an ibuprofen. Then I wonder if I'm having some sort of tree pollen reaction which is disrupting my sinuses and other delicate membranes. I'm prone to vertigo when there's an imbalance in that system. Because I can't seem to shake the dizziness, I opt not to drive until it passes. Just as well. I have a lot of work to do for my photo show next month.

My head is better by late afternoon when I need to pick my son up from his after school program. By evening, I'm just tired. This morning I wake to little puffy bags under my eyes. Both my hamstrings felt as if they were on the verge of charley horses late last night. That's unnerving. And it can't be the shingles if both legs are involved. Ugh. But my head feels okay so I'm off to the gym. Outside, the air is lightly perfumed with lilacs and honeysuckle. And poison ivy sprouts dot the landscape everywhere.

Today is a Pull Day. Again, I skip the core crunches and opt for only one set of push ups. The Smith is free for me to do RDLs and RG BB Rows. Those feel okay. I'm hesitant about Seated One-Arm Cable Rows, but I start off ultra light. A set of 12 reps is easy, so I move up to the next 15 lb plate. And then, the next. This time I only get 6 reps, but that's more than I was expecting. I'm good. Next time perhaps I'll warm up with 30 lbs and then try to get 3 sets of 6 reps at 60 lbs. The shoulder feels okay. The opposing elbow, not quite. But elbows have been an issue for me since I started lifting, so I'm not surprised.

I do a few sets of RG BB Curls for the dainty, undersized forearms. I put the 40 lb solid BB near the mirrored wall across from the OHP rack and a shoulder machine. There's a bunch of 10 lb plates on the bar of the OHP and no one's been there in at least 20 minutes. I get to my last set of curls and The Mayor steps in, manages a quick lift and leaves the station. What was that? A rep? Or two reps? I stick to a station until I'm done, and I don't take very long breaks between sets. I don't want to cool down so there's no chatting either. Unlike some people.

Intervals is the hardest thing I do today. 18 minutes to go and my stomach is growling at me. I had coffee and a yogurt this morning so it's not like I'm working out fasted. Tomorrow I plan to whack the machine. I gave the gym owner the contact info for parts to the Nexersys. Now I'll see if he's going to spend the money to repair the kickboxing stations. I'll be so disappointed if he doesn't, but it won't be wholly unexpected. After all, the dry sauna still doesn't work either.

Wednesday
6.36 miles

30 min xt
Calories 139
Miles 3.62
Average Heart Rate 144

HGPU 26
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 12
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
130 x 12
140 x 8

Smith RG BB Rows
80 lbs x 25 reps
100 x 25
120 x 25

Seated One-Arm Cable Rows
30lbs x 12
45 x 12 inside left elbow/forearm
60 x 6! Yaaay me!

BB RG Curls
40lbs x 25 reps x 3

30 min elliptical
Intervals
Calories 314
Miles 2.74

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...