Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Revise and Repeat

I was very conscientious about taking magnesium in the afternoon, ZMA at 9 pm, and the gabapentin and two ibuprofen tablets around 10:30. No fog this morning. But the left leg still feels inordinately tight, as if slightly swollen. Maybe I should stick to 3 tablets at night since it's the only ibuprofen I'm taking these days. But I'm worried about those nasty side effects, like hearing loss and cardiac events that lead up to permanent conditions. Like death. I'll take 3 tonight and see how the leg feels tomorrow. Ideally, I'd like to whack the machine since I have my last physical therapy appointment later. I'd have to get a renewal from the doc who told me I had a pinched nerve in my back, and I'm not planning on seeing him again.

The therapy is making my shoulder stronger, but I'm not sure that it's doing anything to help me regain the ability to flat bench. Can't do that. Also can't do tricep press downs with this injury. Sigh. Today the leg slows me down a tad and I make satisfactory mileage, but not great considering it's only the 2nd day of the work out week. Oh well...

I do my tiny DB exercises before setting up the Smith for Inclined Presses. I get to 80 lbs and I'm fairly confident I can get a few reps at 90, but I'm not sure if I should. I feel the right lateral delt and top of the tricep as I press up. It's not painful, but it's not normal either. "Play it safe" I tell myself, so I don't go heavier. Instead, I drop down to 60 lbs and knock out a lot of reps, but by no means did I go to failure, so maybe I should've pushed for 25 instead of stopping at 20? I don't know. I figure I'll mention it tomorrow at PT.

The DB lateral superset with reverse flyes feels fine. But I'm tired enough that I don't even think of upping the reps or the weight. However, not too tired to squeeze out 3 sets of Rip Skulls. The gym is crowded because it's not really a nice day. The Mayor spends more time chatting than I spend at one actual exercise, 3 sets of 12 reps. I see Towel Guy too, and at first I think he's brought his son with him to work out. But as I watch the interactions, I revise my observation: he's gotten himself a personal trainer, but not from the gym. Maybe he'll figure out how to do pull ups?


Total Gym Core Trainer
I'm feeling a bit psychic too. As I get off the elliptical and head to the Stretch Cage, I'm wondering about Grampa Spider. And lo and behold, there he is, doing a weird sliding motion while lying on his side on the ab sled machine. He's the fellow I once saw pull himself up to parallel with the Cage roof, and do pull ups that look like reverse push ups. Yep, upside down. He's not on the Cage so I continue with my stretches, and then do my version of hammer grip pull ups. Well, it works for me. One of these days I'll get brave enough to get my hands further apart... but not yet.



Tuesday
6.3 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 141
Miles 3.75
Average Heart Rate 152

Knee_ins 50
Push Ups 50
Crunches 3 x 50

T, Y & I raises
3 lbs x 15 reps
5 lbs x 15 reps

Smith Inclined Bench 30*
Bar (30 lbs) x 16
50 x 13
70 x 12
80 x 12 outside delt/top tri
60 x 20

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyers
20/25 lbs x 12/15 reps x 3

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

30 min elliptical
Program 3
Calories 287
Miles 2.55

HGPU 26



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...