Monday, May 15, 2017

Slow And Easy

I'm done with physical therapy because the script for it expired the first week of May and I've no intentions of revisiting the orthopedist. I'm kind of done with docs at the moment, even though I have appointments scheduled for the annual Ob/Gyn as well as the glaucoma doc, and my son's dermatologist. That last doc prescribed an expensive skin cream for my son's dry skin reaction to the retinol cream for his back acne. Today I got a letter from the insurance company denying coverage for the cream, which is just as well. Last week, I had sorted through my drawer and found a tube of fluocinonide cream, which had been prescribed to me some years ago. I don't remember why or by whom. After reviewing all the different creams I own online, I decided that fluocinonide was the mildest and had the least to worry about. I've been using that on my son's scaly spots and they've been healing. Today's letter suggests that he use fluocinonide cream or ointment. I'm a psychic! Kidding.

It's cold and dreary when I get to the gym. But it's not very crowded. I do my 30 minute warm up and then only a set of push ups and knee-ins before glomming onto the Smith. There's a beat up flat bench nearby. It's missing a bolt to secure the "head panel" and the vinyl is all ripped up. Perfect. I always drape my blue hoodie on the equipment before I lay down on it. Otherwise it'd just be gross. I'm very wary about returning to flat benching and I take it slow. Today I'm only venturous to 110 lbs. I could probably do 120, but my shoulder still isn't 100%. There's a twinge and I adjust my elbow and shoulder. I also move slower. Again, I underestimate myself for the final high rep set. 60 lbs isn't enough weight. I knew that last week, but I'd stopped at 100 lbs. Next week I'll be braver and do 70 lbs for high reps. I'm wistful for the days when I'd do 90 lbs for reps. Maybe I'll even manage to bench 120 for a few. I'll have to see how I feel.

There are a few more young women here today. The Mayor trots over to a very tall and slender girl and starts giving her advice. Eventually she walks away. I don't think he scored any points. He doesn't even try with a second, shorter woman with tats running down her arms. I laugh to myself. Shaggy is here with his overgrown son. The boy looks absolutely thrilled to be here. Not. Maybe he's embarrassed that this is his dad? Shaggy's certainly no looker.

Breaker benches behind the adjustable,
behind the Flat bench in the Smith
Today Inclined Presses are harder than the Flat Benching. That's how it's suppose to be so perhaps my shoulder is truly on the mend? I do my DB superset. Arms always look good doing these! Then Rip Skulls at one of the breaker benches. I usually use the one right behind the Smith. The Mayor literally spends so much time chatting that I'm done with 6 sets of exercises before he's back for his second set of whatever. People seem to be partnering up with new gym buddies, a Spring time ritual. Today the Mayor kills time on the Step Mill, a rare occurrence to see him on any cardio equipment. He's only on it for 10 minutes before stepping off. Ah, he's waiting for his new bud to finish up, a huge bearded guy who looks like he should ace power lifting. But isn't all that strong in any of his movements. They're perfect for each other! Kidding.

30 minutes on the elliptical, a set of pull ups and I'm done. Until tomorrow.

Monday
6.47 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 143
Miles 3.89
Average Heart Rate 130

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Smith Flat Bench
Bar (30lbs) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 13 cautiously
80 x 13
100 x 12 heavy
110 x 12
60 x 25

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 15
70 x 12
80 x 12
60 x 26 reps

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flys
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3sets

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Miles 2.58
Calories 293

Wide HGPU 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...